rjaycreative

Help: How To End a Contract with Client who Maybe Sketchy

Hi, I am a new to Upwork, so I accepted a writing job with a client, the terms were three 400 word articles for a website. The pay is really low, I only accepted it because the client appealed to Upwork newbies looking for a 5 star rating in the original job posting.

The client did not even interview me, I got an email in a few hours with an offer, I accepted excitedly thinking it is possible to go over terms after you accept an offer.

Here's the problem: Client has asked for three articles, with no milestones i.e (splitting the pay in three grades sounds ideal).

I do not really mind the pay that much as my main intention was that 5 star rating but it would suck to be screwed over on the pay too, no matter how measly it is.

I have read of instances where you hand in work and client picks the best 

I have reason to believe I could be duped because I noted after much contemplation these red flags:

1) 3 articles to be handed in one go (pay not split in 3)

2) Client is a web designer who posted the gig as a person looking for articles for a website that builds concrete pathways (I did not know client is a web designer until I accepted gig, Upwork does not always show me client details (name) - is this normal?). Client posted as if client builds concrete pathways... Putting two and two together I figured my client builds websites and has been asked to write copy for a web design client.

3)I do not know which website this article is for.

Does ending my contract affect job score? Can client give me a rating if no work was submitted? Can I renogotiate milestones? I'm I at the mercy of client (i.e rating)?

This is my second job on Upwork and I was almost duped for a writing gig just prior to this one (I see how easy it is for writing work to be stolen without compensation unlike most other work). 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aocumen

Hi Robert, 

I checked your account and can see that the first milestone has already been funded the full amount of the contract. By completing the task on hand, and making sure that the client's payment method is verified, you are protected by the Upwork Fixed-Price Protection for Freelancers. 

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

You applied to the job and got the job. Now DO the job. Just make sure it's funded.

david_gregory

@Robert C wrote:

I have reason to believe I could be duped because I noted after much contemplation these red flags:

1) 3 articles to be handed in one go (pay not split in 3)

2) Client is a web designer who posted the gig as a person looking for articles for a website that builds concrete pathways (I did not know client is a web designer until I accepted gig, Upwork does not always show me client details (name) - is this normal?). Client posted as if client builds concrete pathways... Putting two and two together I figured my client builds websites and has been asked to write copy for a web design client.

3)I do not know which website this article is for.

Does ending my contract affect job score? Can client give me a rating if no work was submitted? Can I renogotiate milestones? I'm I at the mercy of client (i.e rating)?

Submitting the three articles at once is not really a red flag. As long as escrow is funded for the full price (assuming this is a fixed-price job), then just write the three articles and hit the submit button.

The client may be looking for copy for a website tha tthe client is designing but why is this a problem? The client is allowed to hire people for this, particularly if it is not his area of expertise.

Why do you need to know the website that the article is for? If the client has given you details about the article and told you what they want written, then it doesn't really matter where the article will be posted.

It sounds like you're starting to regret taking the job because of the price, but I think you need to do the job. The contract has started which means the client can leave private feedback. If you bail on the contract, the client can give you a bad private rating which will kill your JSS score. Even if no public feedback shows up on your profile, the private feedback will still affect you.

Just make sure the job is funded, do the job and then move on.

re: "I have read of instances where you hand in work and client picks the best"

Yes, but unless they pay ALL freelancers for their work, these clients are known as "bad people."

Hi David,

I did not say asking for copy for a website is a problem. Of course that is okay if it is not his area of expertise, but it deserves caution when you pose the job as is and your area of expertise seems to be another. Transperency is appreciated and is a two way thing.

Why would I need to know the website? Given my other reasons mentioned above, I need to know whether my work has been used or not if a client decided to ditch me. I hope this is reason enough for you.

I would not have taken the gig if I did not know the price. So you are wrong to think this was about the price. If the price was higher and I have to submit three artciles and the rest of the factors were in play. I would still be angtsy about the job.

From my reading other posts in the Community it seems Upwork leans towards protecting clients. Now I cannot spek from experience yet, and that is why I came here to ask for help. It was not about the price but my concern for working for nothing.

Thanks. It has been resolved, I asked for milestones and the cliet responded and told me the caution is okay as there alot of scammers from both ends of the process.

Hi Robert,

Rather than learning about Upwork based on the impression from hastily reading titles and opening posts in Community threads, please take time to go through all the replies in order to get a full picture of a specific case, and more importantly review the resources we listed here.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Untitled
aocumen

Hi Robert, 

I checked your account and can see that the first milestone has already been funded the full amount of the contract. By completing the task on hand, and making sure that the client's payment method is verified, you are protected by the Upwork Fixed-Price Protection for Freelancers. 

~ Avery
Upwork

re: "The client did not even interview me"

I have hired dozens of freelancers. I'm not sketchy.

So this in and of itself is not a red flag.

My job descriptions are succinct but thorough, containing all info freelancers need. I can look at profile pages, portfolios and cover letters. Interviews are unnecessary for me, and for the freelancers I hire.

Thanks this puts things in perspective. Sorry if what I asked seemed dumb, I am a newbie.

You are over complicating this.

surely there is no need to have 3 milestones for three tiny cheap articles?

the work is funded, do it, submit it through the "submit work / request payment" function, and don't panic.

Thanks.

Articles are cheap but the topic required me to do lots of research, it is a technical area  = my valuable time.

Also having to do the work, and being ditched (I hear some clients leave contracts open?) and then getting a not getting a review would have sucked.

Thanks I have asked the client for 3 milestones he understood me thankfully and did say they are scammers out here.

Sorry if I do not know what can't be done, I have not yet gotten a review for any job so I had some anxiety going through the community forums.

Thanks for the encourageemnt though.

Hello,

After thinking about it, I asked my client to make milstones for me for three articles.

Sorry i was a bit scared after seeing some posts here and a job interview I was given just before i got this one where I was asked to give 6 articles a day and payment would be done offline.

I have been reading the Community Posts so I freaked out a bit.

The client is alright thanks.