Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Help Me

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
11 of 24

But why is this profile still up when it's not known who this person is or what they do? Especially considering the outright theft of information used to pad his/her bio! 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
12 of 24

It takes time. It took weeks when I complained that someone had stolen my profile. (The person was only suspended not banned) - In this case, I have found the author of the original profile, but unfortunately, Upwork provides no means to contact her. (So If I were a client - kiss goodbye to potential job.)

That said, people please try for a little understanding. What the OP did is unacceptable, I agree. But I can sort of see how it came about. You are on the internet and you are desperate for work; you are tempted by the very tempting 'join us' words that all sites of this nature lure their clients and freelancers with.

You then have to fill in all the fields - and - unless English is your mother tongue I can see that panic/misunderstainding could set in, and that unwise choices could be made - particularly if the ToS are not read. Not read, solely because they are not understood. (Surely, if a site purports to be global, its ToS should be in many - if not all - languages?)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
13 of 24

You are trying to justify him using someone else's portfolio, which can impact the other freelancer as they are in the same field.

For 5 long months she has not idea she may be rejected because of this. 

Did you ever stop to think how this is impacting her? Client see's his Overview and hers when they both apply to the same job. 

Do you honestly think the client is going to hire her when her entire overview is a duplicate of his?

I don't care how sorry you feel for him, but I honestly feel for the other freelancer who is try to get real work, did her profile honestly, and has good feedback and now she's impacted by this thief.

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
14 of 24
This widget could not be displayed.

Stolen somebody's profile, what comes next? Cyber-crime is one of the most dangerous threats for individuals and companies as well. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
15 of 24

Jean, you misunderstand me. No one was more furious than me when I discovered that my (and another freelancer's) profile had been stolen. I have also tracked down the person to whom this  present stolen overview belongs, but there is no way of contacting her and warniing her.

I am not justifying the OP - I hope, like you,  that his account will be suspended, However, I am asking for a little understanding. We all take the moral highground in the certain knowledge of understanding every nuance of our own language. But think of all those people to whom it is not crystal clear - of those people who have been 'lured' to join Upwork without fully understanding the requirements.

Yes, I use that word advisedly. Upwork is a business and it will use all the marketing practices to attract clients and freelancers alike. If you look at the geographical numbers (given by Upwork) you will see that the concentration of freelancers comes from US and from the East (all other countries form a very minor percentage of Upwork's income)

So it would make sense for Upwork to consider expanding its very limited linguisitic expertise to at least encourage the people who are keeping it financially buoyant.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cairenn R Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
16 of 24

I understand your point Nichola, but do they not teach honesty and right from wrong in other countries? 

Fraud is fraud, and excusing it because someone from a foreign country is "desperate for work" just doesn't fly.
The fact that I found a second person using the same overview on another website - we need to call them out and report them. (not that you were excusing it)

If this is going to be a "professional" freelancer website, then it needs to cut these people off pronto and provide a better monitoring crew to deal with it before people like the OP get a chance to post on the forum crying "help me".

Highlighted
Community Guru
17 of 24

I agree call them out, and report them. I did the same thing when my own profile was stolen, but in a way, I understood. But to call someone out as vitriolically as in this thread only shows up the posters not the fraudster.

However, I think we should all stop taking the moral high ground on fraud.  False reviews, academic essays, doctoral theses, scraping, rewriting, plagiarism are effected daily by who knows how many providers on Upwork, and they  are certainly not limited to one geographic zone - they are also "allowed" (whatever the ToS says) 

If this is to be a 'professional' global site, - then the CEO and directors should have a serious clean out of all fraud and should make their intentions and their mission clear in all languages - as do all the big fish in the pond in which Upwork aims to swim. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 24

There is a difference between general fraudulent or unethical behavior, and fraud committed specifically against Upwork. Whether you like it or not, a distinction needs to be made.

Different policies and even departments are going to be involved.

It is not possible for Upwork to block all bad behavior done by all contractors and all clients. But it makes sense for Upwork to vigorously protect its marketplace and platform by doing what it can to block bad behavior that has a direct negative impact on the Upwork marketplace.

So, yes, I see a distinction between Upwork taking down a fraudlent profile, because that reflects badly on itself, versus Upwork deciding not to take down a job posting for a writing job which might result in a dishonest contractor committing plagiarism because the pay is relatively low and the job posting might attract a dishonest contractor.

If a job posting does not constitute a clear violation of Upwork's stated policies, then I don't think we should report the job posting. If job postings are on Upwork that violate our own personal code of ethics or regional legal strictures, then we should ignore those job postings or politely and patiently commission Upwork to update its policies.

But I think we need to resolutely allow Upwork to include content and job postings which violate our own preferences. Because that same tolerance is what allows us to work at jobs and post jobs that violate the personal preferences of other people.

Highlighted
Community Guru
19 of 24

Preston, my point is, that if a company sets out to be a global corporation, but which  makes not the smallest move to make its mission and priniciples understood in the languages of those who support it, has not only signally failed as an international business, but can also expect a lot of fraudulent activity. (Which is possibly costed into the overall budget  - much as Walmart or Tesco does with theft).

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
20 of 24

Nichola:

You make a very good point here.

I think Upwork constantly struggles with what to do with non-English-speaking contractors.

I don't have a good solution.

If Upwork made it easier for non-English-speakers to use the platform, that would solve some problems, but it could also lead to other problems.

What if making the platform more accessible to speakers of Language X caused more non-English-speaking speakers of Language X to set up contracts on the platform, and copy more English-language profiles, because they don't feel confident enough in their English langauge abilities to write their own profiles?

One thing that Upwork COULD do would be to allow contractors to write their profiles in any language they want, and allow clients to filter contractors based on language. That way German-speaking contractors could simply write profiles in German, and German-speaking clients could include those contractors in their search results or candidate lists.

This would be a major change, and I don't expect Upwork will do this. But it would be one way to address the problem of contractors copying-and-pasting profile overview text due to lack of English language ability.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS