🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Help! My Client wants to meet only on Zoom
Page options
tykechin
Community Member

Help! My Client wants to meet only on Zoom

After receiving a contract on Upwork. If the client requires a zoom meeting is that ideal?

They want me to be log in constantly while I work for monitoring. is this okay?

7 REPLIES 7
moonraker
Community Member

Sounds creepy, or overpowering, or both.

I'd keep well clear. That's not necessarily to say the job is some sort of scam. It might not be, but still...

If they do want to monitor your work then they can open an hourly contract and you can use the desktop app (It takes screenshots of your screen, but there's no camera). 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Personally, I don't care. If a client wants to pay me my hourly rate to meet on Zoom, then I will do that. Some of my clients pay me only to meet with them in Zoom as a consultant.

There is nothing wrong with a client who wants to do that.

Some clients want to hire freelancers using an hourly contract to work actively using screen sharing tools such as TeamViewer or Zoom. There is nothing wrong with that.

Each freelancer must decide for himself which services he offers. If a freelancer does not want to offer Zoom meetings or Zoom collaboration as a service, she is not required to do so.

If a client wants a freelancer to check in frequently, there is nothing wrong with that. If a client wants a freelancer to log in constantly while working for monitoring, there is nothing wrong with that.

Each freelancer may decide for themself which services they do and do not offer.

Thanks, The client does not want me to turn on my timer if he does not admit me on zoom. this I believe is affecting my success score because my hours contracted for are not achieved each week. I sometimes wait an hour or more before admittance.

Jewel-Ann P wrote:

Thanks, The client does not want me to turn on my timer if he does not admit me on zoom. this I believe is affecting my success score because my hours contracted for are not achieved each week. 

The 'contracted' hours are only a maximum, not a target. Not working the set number of hours will have no effect on your JSS.

Jewel-Ann P wrote:

I sometimes wait an hour or more before admittance.

Eugh, control freak much? 

I don't mean to perturb you too much, Jewel-Ann. It might be an important income for you and I know not everybody is in a position to be selective.

But the effect on your JSS is not something you need to worry about. It could log 0 hours and have no impact on your JSS (provided something has been paid in the duration of the contract). As for the rest - that's for you to decide. 

petra_r
Community Member

Jewel-Ann P wrote:

this I believe is affecting my success score because my hours contracted for are not achieved each week. I

It absolutely isn't because the number of maximum (!!!!! not "target" !!!!!) hours of an active contracts don't affect the JSS

Jewel-Ann:
I have hired MANY freelancers where the job was to work with me using TeamViewer.

The freelancer ONLY logged time while running TeamViewer, with me watching what they were doing.

That was the job.

If working while a client watches you work via Zoom is not a service that you provide, then let the client know, so that he can hire somebody who is an appropriate freelancer for this job.

If the client did NOT let you know beforehand that this was what the job entails, then the client made a mistake.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths