🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Help: Phishing job posting
Page options
zoekubasek
Community Member

Help: Phishing job posting

My job proposal was accepted by a **Edited for Community Guidelines** under the title "A freelancer tanscriber is need urgenly." I believe this was a scam. They have since removed the job posting, however, in the process they sent us money with which we were supposed to purchase equipment for the said job, which raised suspicions. After asking questions about the job, they have since disappeared from the conversation (which they requested to move to Skype. I can send screenshots if needed). Looking for direction on how to proceed...

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

Zoe, yes this is a scam. They were trying to steal money from your bank account.

They sent you a fake check. By receiving it, you violated a very serious Upwork TOS rule. You are new and did not know better. This time I am sure Upwork will not penalize your account. But make sure you never do that again.

This matter is now over.

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Zoe,

Accepting payments outside of Upwork is a serious violation of Upwork's Terms of Service. You can check this help article for more information on that.

I checked the job post you were referring to and it seems that it's already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members