cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help With Proposal Process

shannontani
Shannon T Member Since: Apr 14, 2016
1 of 10

I submitted my first proposal today and it was rejected less than an hour after submission. I'm sure that this happens all the time, but I can't help but feel like I might have made a mistake with the proposal.

In the job description, the client mentioned a $xx-per article price that I was fine with, and the description seemed to be for ongoing work. The budget listed was $x,xxx+ for the "project". When the proposal asked for my bid, I just put in the max project amount, but included a short note that I was fine with the per-article rate they proposed in the description. 

It was rejected for being "too high". 

Should I have put the per-article rate as the bid? Since I'm new to Upwork, I am nervous about agreeing to a ridiculously low price by mistake. 

What happens after a proposal is accepted? Is it then set in stone or is there a further negotiation period?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Shannon

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
2 of 10

Shannon, I don't think any freelancer on this forum has a clue what is going on at the moment. We are all at sea.  Your question has merely brought up another question.

Has Shannon's proposal been turned down by the client, or by the algorithm, who has decided that her bid may have been higher than what the algorithm has understood the client's budget to be? Is the client being allowed to make an informed decision on Shannon's proposal?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 10

Hi Nichola,

Proposals never get declined automatically. For a proposal to be declined, the client has to click the decline button.

~ Valeria
Upwork
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 10

Thanks Valeria,

I'm sorry to be a doubting Thomas, but recent events have made me wary.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
5 of 10

Most writing jobs get several proposals. It is highly possible that the client received bids for lower amounts. It is also possible that they just clicked a box as to why the proposal was rejected without giving it much thought. The communication when a proposal is rejected is seldom very personal. 

Your profile doesn't have any samples for clients to view, so you are probably going to be at a disadvantage unless someone is specifically searching for your unique skill set. It is possible to find steady work, but it takes some time to get that first job. Some freelancers have to submit dozens of proposals before they get a start. My stats indicate that I applied to 96 jobs in 90 days. Some of those are probably responses to invitations, but I also invested in a few extra connects when first getting started. (Not that I recommend spending money if you aren't sure you can recoup it, just being honest about my own path.)

hodgesh
Community Guru
Kholleras I Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
6 of 10

@Shannon T wrote:

When the proposal asked for my bid, I just put in the max project amount, but included a short note that I was fine with the per-article rate they proposed in the description. 

Did you just copy the project budget into the bid amount box, or was that the actual amount you were asking for? The former is never acceptable.

I can't tell what you should have entered without seeing the job post. The amount you want to be paid for the entire fixed-price project makes the most sense to me, but if you cannot tell from the job description how much work is required, a per-article, per-word, etc. rate seems fine as long as you explain it in your proposal.

Rather than saying that you are "fine" with something, I suggest that you ask for a specific amount of money.

shannontani
Shannon T Member Since: Apr 14, 2016
7 of 10

This was the job:

https://www.upwork.com/jobs/Top-Writers-Needed-120-Per-Article_~0145cc25fd9f09dac3

The same person seems to be posting a lot, so maybe that's a red flag? Anyway, in the bid

section, I wasn't sure what amount to put. The posting is listed as a fixed price with $10,000

as the maximum. The post alludes to ongoing work, and I assume that the person would send

individual orders to the writers he/she chooses. But that was my first proposal and I haven't done any

jobs through this site yet, so I totally don't know how the process works. Should I have

put $50 in the big because that's what they're saying per article?

Is there a place for me to put samples in my profile? I guess maybe I should look around

for more stuff like that because I didn't see that yet. I did offer the client a link to 

previously published work.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
8 of 10

You need to read through all the Upwork Terms and other information, the getting started information and the threads that are at the top of the Freelancer discussion forum.

If you just start applying for jobs without doing your homework you are going to be out of connects with nothing to show for it very quickly. 

Enter your topic here:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us

Read here:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Job-warning-signs/m-p/23811#U23811

and here:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Want-to-get-that-first-job-Then-check-this-out/m-p/21457...

I didn't do the reading at the outset and learned some hard lessons. Smiley Sad

hodgesh
Community Guru
Kholleras I Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
9 of 10

@Shannon T wrote:

Should I have put $50 in the big because that's what they're saying per article?

You set your own rates. You enter however much you think you should be paid for the amount of work the job requires, keeping in mind that Upwork will take 10%.

mariawicz5
Community Guru
Maria A Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
10 of 10

Yasss, definitely put samples in your portfolio even as a writer. I've seen other writer's profiles that include many of their writing samples. As a client, I think this will really make your profile stand out more.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS