🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Help me to get the first job on upwork
Page options
0659c9db
Community Member

Help me to get the first job on upwork

I am new at this upwork.

I really want the first job and also, 5.0 review feedback. 🙂

Is there any tip or any way to get the first job?

i am a software engineer who have 7 years experience. I have sent lots of proposals but didn't get a new job. 😞

Will I only bid a low budget job?

Let me know your opinion.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
m_terrazas
Community Member

Massimo B wrote:

I am new at this upwork.

i am a software engineer who have 7 years experience. I have sent lots of proposals but didn't get a new job. 😞

I don't know anything about your niche but:
- I would delete the first sentence. The second can be a good start. You have to take advantage of the first two sentences, it is what the client sees.
- Tell the client what you can do for them, why they should hire you. The whole thing about how you started and that you would appreciate an opportunity is not interesting, you must make it clear that you are a person with experience, the other thing makes you seem desperate, bad.
- Delete the last sentence immediately, please.

On the other hand, if you have two profiles, supposedly from two different areas, do not put the same text. Create a text for each one that explains each of them.

You have years of experience, but your profile makes you look like a hopeless newbie.
And another thing, I would change the profile photo for a more "Professional" one. I'm not talking about a suit and tie, but something that doesn't look like a selfie sent to friends.

ETA - You can check, just check not copy ANYTHING, other profiles of successful freelancers in your same field to see how they present themselves.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
m_terrazas
Community Member

Massimo B wrote:

I am new at this upwork.

I don't know anything about your niche but:
- I would delete the first sentence. The second can be a good start. You have to take advantage of the first two sentences, it is what the client sees.
- Tell the client what you can do for them, why they should hire you. The whole thing about how you started and that you would appreciate an opportunity is not interesting, you must make it clear that you are a person with experience, the other thing makes you seem desperate, bad.
- Delete the last sentence immediately, please.

On the other hand, if you have two profiles, supposedly from two different areas, do not put the same text. Create a text for each one that explains each of them.

You have years of experience, but your profile makes you look like a hopeless newbie.
And another thing, I would change the profile photo for a more "Professional" one. I'm not talking about a suit and tie, but something that doesn't look like a selfie sent to friends.

ETA - You can check, just check not copy ANYTHING, other profiles of successful freelancers in your same field to see how they present themselves.

Hi Maria
Can you give me feedback about my profile?
Can you help me improve it?

Samet K wrote:

Hi Maria
Can you give me feedback about my profile?
Can you help me improve it?

Say what you have experience in, maybe I would take away the two years.
The client doesn't care that one of your skills is a hobby, if you can do the job, just say you have those skills.
And the question of why they should work with you, well, it goes without saying that all freelancers would say the same thing, right?

It's nice to have it there, but background erasing is a saturated field with thousands of freelancers offering the same thing.
You have the same text for the two specialized profiles. Change one of the two. It doesn't look very good, it seems lazy.

Above all, realize that the first two lines are what the client sees before opening your profile, so take advantage of them.

Thank you.
I tried to update my profile completely.
Your feedback was very helpful.

6cf2cb16
Community Member

Welcome to Upwork! It's great that you have 7 years of experience in software engineering and are looking to find your first job on Upwork.

It can be difficult to find your first job, but there are a few steps you can take to increase your chances of success.

First, make sure you create a complete profile that showcases your experience, skills, and qualifications. Include a portfolio of your past work and any certifications or awards you have achieved.

Second, take time to research the types of jobs you are interested in and tailor your proposals to those specific needs. When you make your bid, make sure you explain why you are the best fit for the job and how you can help the client reach their objectives.

Finally, don't be afraid to bid lower than the budget requested. This will make you more attractive to potential clients and increase your chances of getting a job.

Good luck and I hope you find success soon!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members