Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please- struggling with first job decision

Highlighted
Rachael D Member Since: Sep 2, 2015
1 of 21
Hi,

I'm an experienced content writer/ English teacher/ examiner. I've joined the site as I decided to change direction from teaching and I'm currently studying a Masters- thus looking for extra income.

I've set my hourly rate lower than what I feel I'm worth and followed all of the useful advice on the forum. A company contacted me directly and asked me to apply for a job- great? It transpires however, that they need to me write all of the content for a start up website and research the actual content also, as they are in the very early stages. It's about a months work probably and they have offered the job for 10 dollars.

However... do I take this and work 'for free' to getting first job under my belt? I'm conflicted. I'd really appreciate anyone's opinion on this, as I'm also worried that it might damage my reputation. Who in their right mind would produce content for an entire website for 10 dollars? Or is this what you need to do in order to get up and running...

(I haven't actually started applying for jobs as yet, but this opportunity presented itself to me.)

Grateful for your help.
Highlighted
Patricia Elena Nin E Member Since: Sep 3, 2014
2 of 21

Simple answer: Don't do it!

Selling yourself short will be a waste of time. Especially if we're talking about the entire web copy of a start up company.

Of course, when you're just starting out, you feel inclined to do more for less, just to get things rolling. But this is too much!

And a thing that you'll find later, after going through a couple or more contracts, is that if clients are seeking for outrageous bargains, they will be a pain in more than one way. If this company wants that amount of content done for $10, they won't have a problem with not paying you at all, and leaving the contract opened and disappearing, or leaving you awful feedback so you give them a refund. In that case you get either bad feedback for $10, or no money and a lot of time and effort wasted.

Better opportunities will arise once you start applying.

Just my personal opinion. Do as you wish! Have a nice day!

Highlighted
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
3 of 21

Ah! Patricia could not have put it better - all points

And you didn't even apply for the job the fellow came calling? Pleeeaase - is that what he/she thought you were worth? These are the ones who spend their time on the site looking for prey. Do not be one.

Better do a simple task worth $5 (or even $3!) to start off your profile history than succumbing to such abuse.

The way your instincts are working, you are ready for this market. You can already detect something amiss... stay steady, jobs will come.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Probuddha N Member Since: Aug 29, 2015
4 of 21
I can understand that being new, you would want to keep your rates competitive to bag projects but what you are describing is working for free. Even in India, I cannot get a writer to create content for the entire website for 10 bucks.
If I were you, I'd politely reply to the prospective client that with my level of experience and skill-set, working for that amount of money would be grossly unfair and would give a wrong idea of my abilities to my future clients. So either you increase the amount to $xxx or else, I'd suggest you go with another provider.
Here is a good article on how to maintain your standards and work on projects that is actually worth your time and experience
**edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
5 of 21

Absolutely NO.

All those low ball jobs on people's resumes do is show they were desperate enough to work for free and be taken advantage of. If you want to do that sort of thing, then consider doing some pro bono work for a charity.

Same deal for advertising your hourly rate lower than your happy with. Don't sell yourself short, you'll wind up hating this freelance gig. Lowering your rate is the equivalent of giving up. How many places have you been looking for freelance work? It takes time. The more you put yourself out there, the more clients will see you, the better chance you have of landing your first gig.

What if you found a job that actually pays while you dedicated a month to work for free with this turd? You can't quit on him to start the new job or you'll earn yourself a bad reputation from the get-go and never win a gig again!

When declining this 'opportunity', please heat yourself up a nice red hot fire poker and give the 'client' a quick virtual jab in the ribs as you scream Nooooooo!

He is a bad dog.

just-say-no.jpg

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 21

You'd be much better off spending that month creating sample porfolio items, taking tests, working on your cover letter, learning the freelance market etc..

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 21

@Rachael D wrote:
. It's about a months work probably and they have offered the job for 10 dollars.

Can I just clarify whether they offered $ 10.00 (fixed rate) for a month's work, or $ 10.00 an hour  for a month's worth of hours? In other words they're looking to pay you whatever hours you word multiplied by $ 10.00?
Is it a fixed rate or an hourly contract?
Maybe somewhere along the lines something got mixed up. I can't see even the most ridiculously cheapskate client trying to hire someone at $ 10.00 for a month's worth of work.....

Highlighted
Patricia Elena Nin E Member Since: Sep 3, 2014
8 of 21

I see it as a fixed price offer, from what OP described. She can tell that there's a "work for free" sign attached to that offer.

But there are ridiculously cheapskate clients that really think they can get that amount of work done for $10. And sometimes they find someone to do it... someone like OP, or another freelancer that just wants to get that first review.

I've been there... not the people you want to deal with!

Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 21

Someone, somewhere will do it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 21

@Patricia Elena Nin P wrote:

I see it as a fixed price offer, from what OP described.

Quite possibly,  I am just wondering if it's a communication issue - and client "means" $ 10.00 an hour.... I wanted to triple check as it would alter the situation considerably...

Also, just because it gives a budget of $ 10 on a fixed rate job posting does not mean

1) you hve to bid $ 10 - feel free to bid $ 800, or $ 8000!

2) the client expects to get it done for $10.00 - lots of clients put an arbitrary sum in the box because they have to put "something" - seen that many times.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS