🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Help with time sheet
Page options
bbrondsted
Community Member

Help with time sheet

Hello,

A few hours ago I was hired for a project, where I am being paid per hour. This is my first experience with this, as all of my other projects has been billed by the word count until now.

I have been given an account to work on the client's website, and they have asked me to enter my hours into the time sheet.

I have located Weekly Timesheet in my Upwork account, but it just says 'No matching record found'. 

If you could point me in the direction of how to proceed so that I am able to start working on this project, I would greatly appreciate it.

I would think that I somehow should link my activity on the client's site with the time tracker, but the client says no (but doesn't seem sure) and says I should just log in my hours manually in the Timesheet here.

I have just downloaded the Time Tracker desktop app and I am installing it now.

Hope you can help!

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

In order to get payment protection from Upwork, you MUST use the UW time tracker with meaningful memos as to what you are doing.  Then enter the time into your client's program.  I often have to do this with attorneys.  It's the only way I know to get protection and also keep the client happy.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

In order to get payment protection from Upwork, you MUST use the UW time tracker with meaningful memos as to what you are doing.  Then enter the time into your client's program.  I often have to do this with attorneys.  It's the only way I know to get protection and also keep the client happy.

Hi Mary, thank you very much for your reply!

I will definitely conform to your recommendation!

I have downloaded and installed the UW time tracker, and it seems blessedly intuitive and automatic.

I  have a few questions I was hoping you could answer.

What is the difference between a memo and an activity tag?

The first part of my contract is to proofread previous translations - is an adequate 'What are you working on?' entry (is that a memo or an activity tag) merely writing 'proofreading' or is it better, in your experience, to flesh it out e.g. 'Performed proofreading segment x-xx, corrected grammatical errors and some semantic issues while updating several translations to ensure easy-to-read localizations'? With that in mind, do you log your memo and activity tag with the time tracker on or off?

Also, I have two screens on my desktop. Does the screencapture takes both screens or can I set it to only one? I like to be able to check my work email on the other monitor, but I obviously don't want my client to see those details. I have read that I can delete a screencapture - but that also mean forfeiting being able to invoice the corresponding 10 minutes, which I obviously don't want. In that case I will just check my email on my phone and keep both screens purely for the project. 

Thank you!

Bjorn B wrote:

What is the difference between a memo and an activity tag?

The first part of my contract is to proofread previous translations - is an adequate 'What are you working on?' entry (is that a memo or an activity tag) merely writing 'proofreading' or is it better, in your experience, to flesh it out e.g. 'Performed proofreading segment x-xx, corrected grammatical errors and some semantic issues while updating several translations to ensure easy-to-read localizations'? With that in mind, do you log your memo and activity tag with the time tracker on or off?

Unless the client has given you an activity code, (which they have likely not done) - just ignore that. Simply add a memo.

Somewhere in between 🙂 Just "proofreading" is likely not enough, and the other is way too long. "Proofreading part one of Document XYZ" is OK.

As far as your other question is concerned, you can set the tracker to capture both or only the active monitor. Problem is, the second you move to the other monitor to check your email, that becomes your active monitor, so better to keep your non-contract related activities off the computer you are using to work.

Thank you Will and Petra for your insights, they are duly noted!

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Bjorn,

Keep in mind that even if a client "allows" you to add manual time to your weekly timelog for their project the client has no obligation of any kind under Upwork’s rules to ever actually pay you for that added time. Manual time is not protected in any way under Upwork's payment protection rules and Upwork will make no effort to enforce payments due to you for manually-booked work time.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062568-Upwork-Payment-Protection

If you want to try to be sure you're paid for all manual hours you book, the best you can do is only use manual time for a client you know well and trust completely.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths