🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Help
Page options
21acd52c
Community Member

Help

I applied to 96 jobs but got just 3! The law of averages doesn't work eve work for me! What should I do? Please help!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

You have implemented only one of my suggestions.

Consider revamping your profile bio (entirely). You will have to do something unique to stand out. Also, discuss the topics you hold expertise in. Something you will love to write about. For me, it is Science, Psychogenic Development, Finance, and Politics. Focusing on certain topics and having relevant portfolios related to them helps greatly.

As for the languages, you might not remove them as our premier believes that it can limit possibilities so it must be true. 🙂

Also, make sure to change your profile headline according to the suggestions given by Petra. (You might just pick one up from the ones I suggested above)

Thank You.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Not true. The law of averages says that 90% of all freelancers on upwork never win any job. 

Where is that number coming from?

Sophie A wrote:

Where is that number coming from?

A few years back, it was possible to access all freelancers through the talent search function. I think it was called freelancers then. You could see the total number, you could see their earnings. But that was only the ones with profiles that had not been set to private, so the real number was higher. 

Since I used to be a controller, I had of course an excel sheet and tracked the numbers for a while. That's where I have it from. The real number is and was probably closer to 95%. 

nyonomega0
Community Member

Here's some help for you -

1) Change your profile picture. Make sure it's a live picture and not a picture of a photograph. Smiling would also help. 🙂

2) Change your profile headline to something minimalistic. Examples - Writer, Creative Writer, Copywriter, etc.

I believe that having an overlong or messy profile headline can leave a bad impression on the client.

3) Remove Hindi and Chinese from your profile. Only focus on English and your Native language.

4) Improve your profile bio. Consider checking out bios of other experienced professionals in your field and take inspiration. (Don't Copy them)

---

The rest depends on how you write your proposals.

Thanks for the advice. I have implemented your suggestions in my profile.

petra_r
Community Member

I disagree with removing languages you speak. It does nothing but limit possible opportunities. Leave them there.

Your overview, however, needs to be scrapped and completely rewritten. It screams "amateur" - Don't talk about what you like and want. Clients don't care whether you've liked writing from when you were a kind. They relly, really don't.

What clients want to know is how what you are selling will benefit them and their business. How will they profit from hiring you? What is your unique selling point? What do you bring to the table?

Don't say "I want to try out" - Clients don't want freelancers to "try out" anything with their projects. They hire professionals who know what they're doing and aren't "trying out" stuff.

I would strongly suggest you remove "book reviewer" from your profile.

Any form of paid review on platforms such as Amazon and Kindle is strictly forbidden and having such contracts on your profile is not only proof of having done this, it could also deter genuine clients. Amazon has already sued 1000+ freelancers for this, they have zero tolerance for such unethical practices, and it also violates Upwork's terms of service.

21acd52c
Community Member

Oh, thanks for telling me. I will do that.

Hi,

You have implemented only one of my suggestions.

Consider revamping your profile bio (entirely). You will have to do something unique to stand out. Also, discuss the topics you hold expertise in. Something you will love to write about. For me, it is Science, Psychogenic Development, Finance, and Politics. Focusing on certain topics and having relevant portfolios related to them helps greatly.

As for the languages, you might not remove them as our premier believes that it can limit possibilities so it must be true. 🙂

Also, make sure to change your profile headline according to the suggestions given by Petra. (You might just pick one up from the ones I suggested above)

Thank You.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members