cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help?

belti01
Albert H Member Since: Apr 25, 2017
1 of 6

I am a freelancer, I finished a milstone then the client paid me, I recieved an email from UpWork and theres was a bottom that says (Give refund) I clicked, then in, I clicked refund, then Upwork said that YOU sent the amount to the client, I wanted to get my money not send it back to the client, but this all happened by mistake.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 6

Albert:

It is okay!

You made a mistake. But you learned from your mistake.

You won't do it again. That is what is important.

If you want to ask your client to send you the money again using the Pay Bounus feature, you may do that.

But the client is not obligated to do so. That is a choice on her part.

Upwork can do nothing to help you. This is between you and the client.

If you are sufficiently apologetic and succinct, the client might send the money back to you.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 6

If there are moderators reading this, it's not the first or second time a freelancer has posted saying they clicked the refund button "by mistake". Maybe upwork should put a heavy box around the button with large bold text stating IF YOU CLICK THIS BUTTON YOU WILL RETURN MONEY TO THE CLIENT AND YOU WILL NOT BE PAID. Either that or before the refund is submitted, display a confirmation box to ask if they're sure they want to give back all payment to the client. Some people obviously see a big green button and think it wouldn't be there unless they're supposed to click it. Other freelancers click it so they can find out what it does. Upwork can accommodate these freelancers by implementing something like what I suggested. Cat Wink

Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 6

John,

After the freelancer clicks "Refund" button, they are directed to a confirmation screen where they need to select the amount they want to refund, write a note the the client and confirm giving the refund.

~ Valeria
Upwork
yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 6

Valeria, thank you for the explanation. I have perhaps made one refund ever at Upwork so didn't know exactly what happens after you click the button. So maybe the confimation should say something like ONLY GIVE A REFUND IF YOU AGREE YOU SHOULD NOT BE PAID THE FULL MILESTONE AMOUNT. Or even, if this is your first contract, ask first in the community what will happen if you proceed. It could be in the form of one of those tips you can dismiss for 30 days. 

Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 6

John:

I don't think the user interface needs to be changed.

The button says "refund."

If a person does not know what "refund" means, then they can look the word up online or they can consult a translation dictionary. There is also an explanation and a confirmation.

And EVEN IF they click the button AND click the confirmation button AND end up refunding money to a client... This is probably only going to happen to them once. I have no problem with that.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS