cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help!

Highlighted
Julie Ann C Member Since: Jun 24, 2015
1 of 6
Hi everyone. I am just new in upwork. I submitted an application just recently and I was glad to receive a message from a client immediately. I did his instructions for data entry and spent already 6 hours for the job. He said on his offer that it is $3/hr. I am serious with my application and serious with the job that is why when I receieved an email, I didn't think twice to start. However, while continuously working, I thought of clicking on every tabs checking my status and read forums. My reports are empty though and My Jobs tab as well. Does that mean I was scammed? Does that mean I won't get paid by the client I worked with? I emailed him and receive no response yet. Please advise. I am afraid I won't get paid for the 6 hours I have spent working Smiley Sad
Highlighted
Community Guru
Nikhil D Member Since: May 28, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 6

Greetings Julie,

Since you mentioned that you are new to Upwork, were you aware that the client needs to send you a contract and you need to accept it, in order to make the job signing official. Next you have to start your oDesk Team App which should display the job and then you need to start the 'Time Tracker'. Do you remember doing this?

If you did the above, then try the following: Under your profile, look for a tab called 'My Jobs' and the new page should display your current job. Do you see anything?

If still nothing, then I believe your client might have got away with 6 hour of free job. You may contact Customer service but you are clutching thin air.

Treat this as a learning opportunity and please be careful from next time onwards. Best of luck for the future.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Rodelito D Member Since: Feb 24, 2009
3 of 6

@Nikhil D wrote:

Greetings Julie,

Since you mentioned that you are new to Upwork, were you aware that the client needs to send you a contract and you need to accept it, in order to make the job signing official.

I know that you meant what I would explain here but this part may confuse new freelancer. Just a clarification, clients don't send you/freelancer contract.  They may hire you then upwork will send freelancer a start of a job contract notification. Or client can give freelancer a job offer. At the moment the freelancer accepts the offer, then again upwork will send notification of start of contract.

All forms of hiring will be process by upwork. Not just a message from a client that you are hired. Not just a form of contract that a client may send you through email. Everything should be supported with upwork system.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 6
Nikhil offered excellent advice. I don't have much to add, except to advise you to NOT go to customer service with this matter. They won't get you any money for this.

Six hours is not very much time to invest in learning an important lesson.

If you don't want something like this to happen again, be sure you are using the time tracker software while doing any hourly work. Do that, and you'll be fine.

Return to the community forum if you have questions.
Highlighted
Aimee A Member Since: Jun 24, 2015
5 of 6

The new time tracking software is not working. I've created a ticket but the support has no solution to offer.  Any help here?

Highlighted
Rebecka W Member Since: Apr 22, 2015
6 of 6

I'm having the same issue with the time tracker Aimee.

Hopefully, they will fix this soon.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS