🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Hey, I just finished a job with someone, but ...
Page options
jw141989
Community Member

Hey, I just finished a job with someone, but there's a problem.

This was my first gig on Upwrok. Problem is, it was an hourly job and I didn't know I needed to download the time-keeping application to log the hours automatically. I also didn't know I had to actually accept the contract, so I just started working on the job after she sent me the files, with her knowledge of course. I finished the gig. The client said she's happy with it. It was her first contract here as well apparently. She allowed the manual input of hours after I requested it, but the issue now is that I finished the project yesterday in the morning workin through most of the night. So I looked through the job offer again about an hour ago and noticed that I never actually accepted the contract, so I accepted it an hour ago, but now the contract states that it started today an hour ago. In addition to that, it just turned into Thursday so I can't log my hours in.

Is it okay if I ask her to pay me through paypal directly?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Alex G wrote:

This was my first gig on Upwrok. Problem is, it was an hourly job and I didn't know I needed to download the time-keeping application to log the hours automatically. I also didn't know I had to actually accept the contract, so I just started working on the job after she sent me the files, with her knowledge of course. I finished the gig. The client said she's happy with it. It was her first contract here as well apparently. She allowed the manual input of hours after I requested it, but the issue now is that I finished the project yesterday in the morning workin through most of the night.

This is why it makes sense to figure out how something works BEFORE jumping in head over heel....

Alex G wrote:

No. Of course not. That will get you banned permanently. Again, do not take any further contracts without learning how the platform works and what the rules are.

Simply wait until the contract has been open long enough to add the neccessary hours manually. Alternatively, the client can pay you via a bonus.)

Edited to add: 

Alex wrote:

This was my first gig on Upwrok.

Hmmmmmmm.... so whose profile are you working on? The person whose profile you are using did several hourly contracts back in 2015 and 2016...

. I also didn't know I had to actually accept the contract,?

But you knew how to accept your other 6 contracts?

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
petra_r
Community Member

Alex G wrote:

This was my first gig on Upwrok. Problem is, it was an hourly job and I didn't know I needed to download the time-keeping application to log the hours automatically. I also didn't know I had to actually accept the contract, so I just started working on the job after she sent me the files, with her knowledge of course. I finished the gig. The client said she's happy with it. It was her first contract here as well apparently. She allowed the manual input of hours after I requested it, but the issue now is that I finished the project yesterday in the morning workin through most of the night.

This is why it makes sense to figure out how something works BEFORE jumping in head over heel....

Alex G wrote:

No. Of course not. That will get you banned permanently. Again, do not take any further contracts without learning how the platform works and what the rules are.

Simply wait until the contract has been open long enough to add the neccessary hours manually. Alternatively, the client can pay you via a bonus.)

Edited to add: 

Alex wrote:

This was my first gig on Upwrok.

Hmmmmmmm.... so whose profile are you working on? The person whose profile you are using did several hourly contracts back in 2015 and 2016...

. I also didn't know I had to actually accept the contract,?

But you knew how to accept your other 6 contracts?

jw141989
Community Member

Those hours were back during the eLance days. They transferred over to my Upwork account which I opened after the merger, but I never was able to find transription work here like I was on elance. My most recent gig, which is my first actual gig on Upwork was a video editing job and that's the job I'm talking about in this post.

and thanks for the reply. I'll just wait until later today to log my hours.

petra_r
Community Member

Alex G wrote:

Those hours were back during the eLance days.

They weren't. 2 of the jobs were started after Elance had finally been closed.

So you switched what kind of work you do as a freelancer from Transcription to Video Editing too?

jw141989
Community Member

eLance was still operational for quite a while after the merger was announced. Listen, I don't know why you're being confrontational here. From looking at my list of jobs, I can say I remember at least one, and only one transcription job I was able to find here, and that was because it was a client I had originally worked with at eLance. The pay for that? A measly 3 bucks which I haven't even bothered to withdraw. Additionally, that gig was like 5 years ago. I didn't remember the process, that I had to download an app to automatically track the time. There was only 1 job I did find on Upwork back then that is listed in my profile, and that's it. Not two like you said. Only one. Which is why I had pretty much quit this platform until now.

Yes, do I not have the right to change the type of work I do? I found no reason to continue transcription as finding work here on Upwork was next to impossible. It's easier to find video editing work than transcription work, evidenced by the fact that I actually found a video editing job here.

Hello Alex,

Offering or accepting to get paid outside of Upwork is a serious violation of our TOS. Please keep in mind that communicating outside of Upwork before a contract is formed, is a violation of our TOS as well.

Once a day or 2 has passed, you will be able to add your manual hours (depending on how much time you would like to add).
To learn more about getting started on Upwork, check out our resources Here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Yes, I got that. I did not ask the client for payment outside of upwork, and I will do as the other user suggested and wait until enough time has elapsed before I input my hours. The hours worked were less than 5. Can I just wait six hours and then input them, or will I have to wait a day like you said?

Hi Alex,

You should be able to add them after 6 or 7 hours.
I would like to clarify that your client will be billed on Monday. When you`re working in hourly contracts, your clients are billed every Monday for the time tracked in the previous week. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Oh I see. Well that works. Thanks for letting me know.

Just now, it looks like it just suspended not too long ago. What exactly is going on?

Hi Alex,

Our team has already reached out to you via ticket with additional instructions and information. To access your tickets click here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Okay, I sent in my driver's license and Utility bill for the ID verification.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members