cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi guys! I have some problems with inactive contracts.

angelpaolove
Angel Paolo V Member Since: May 2, 2017
1 of 7

Hello, Upwork community!
So far it's been great using this platform (the recent almost-everyday downtime aside) and I enjoy my work a lot. However, I would humbly like to ask for help with a certain dilemma I have right now.

For the experienced and successful freelancers out there, Maam/Sirs, how do you handle inactive clients? I mean, clients who assign work and then disappear after some time. I do have others that I message who reply, communicate and mean well, but some just straight out leave me hanging. After a few unread messages, I might finally end the contract but I'm afraid that the client might not like it and give a negative review in the future.

Also had one client that made me perform a job only to terminate it without any warning, and most likely gave me a low recommendation. (maybe that's why my JSS plummeted.)
EDIT: I do not have anything against that specific client, but It would have helped if there was better communication before the termination.

And I'm not really sure about this, but I believe inactive contracts pull down your JSS too, right?
Any friendly advice? I'll appreciate it so much!

Respectfully Yours,
Angel

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 7

Hi Angel,

Contracts that stay inactive for long periods of time can affect your Job Success score so it's recommended to have them closed. You can message your client and ask them to close the contract if they don't have any further work they want you to complete on it. If they don't reply for a while, you can go ahead and close the contract yourself.

~ Valeria
Upwork
angelpaolove
3 of 7

Thanks for the timely reply!
Yes, I am planning on terminating some inactive contracts but only after a few more messages just to be sure. I truly hope I won't get any negative responses from my clients for terminating it due to inactivity. On the plus side, some of my best clients have replied and understood my situation, so I'm guessing all the others will understand as well,

Thanks again for the help. Cleared some things up for me.

Respectfully Yours,
Angel

sk-andaleeb
Community Guru
Tanzeel Z Member Since: May 26, 2015
BEST ANSWER
4 of 7

According to my experience, in 99% cases, a client will never leave feedback when a freelancer ends the contract. So you can end the contract and do not worry about the feedback. It may never arrive on your profile. 

Second, there are clients who will totally forget about you. Sometimes, they also forget they have funded the milestone, but that is the nature of freelancing business. You will meet clients who will appreciate your hard work. They will reply promptly, but then there are some who will never make you a priority. That's okay. Once you have built your business, you can only work with people who take their projects & communication seriously. 

Have you tried phone/skype call instead of emails and messages? I believe Hubspot has a nice collection of emails that can get you quick response from "cold clients". 

P.S. I couldn't see your profile, I believe Upwork is down at the moment so this answer is based solely on your question. 

View solution in original post

angelpaolove
5 of 7

Hi! Thanks a lot, this really helped!

I do have clients that I communicate with through emails and calls (Skype is one example) and that usually gets faster replies.

From what I've seen and heard, a lot of clients usually leave the contract hanging all the time. I did get some replies from some wonderful clients saying it was an honest mistake but I still have some who don't really reply at all. I'm guessing if I terminate the contract for inactivity (and leave a polite reason why) they hopefully won't hold it against me, or don't leave feedback entirely.

I appreciate the help immensely. 🙂 One more additional question, if I may - if contracts return without any feedback and were terminated by the freelancer, would that tend to pull down your JSS as well?

Respectfully Yours,
Angel

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
6 of 7

Hi Angel, 

The initial contract you closed with no feedback won't affect your Job Success Score, unless you have a pattern of contracts with no feedback. Excessive lack of feedback on closed contracts may contribute negatively to your Job Success Score calculation.

~ Avery
Upwork
angelpaolove
7 of 7
I see! All right! Thanks a lot for all the help everybody! It really gave me some great insights on how to handle inactive contracts. 😄
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS