cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hidden Job Applications

Ace Contributor
Nadav I Member Since: Apr 10, 2015
1 of 13

Sorry if this is a double (or triple...) post. I've read thru the forums about this issue but couldn't find a concrete answer.

So what's the latest regarding the hidden job applications? A few weeks ago it was mentioned that it was a bug, then it was mentioned that it was fixed, however applications are still hidden so what gives?

Is this a new "feature", not being able to see who else applied, or still a bug being worked on...?

Thanks

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 13

Nadav, this question can be answered very simply.

There was indeed a technical problem a few weeks ago that blocked job proposals from being delivered to clients. That was resolved after a few days and is no longer an issue.

That is completely separate from Upwork's "auto-hide" functionality, which is a feature Upwork provides to clients wherein job applications which are algorithmically adjudicated as poor fits for a particular job are placed in a "hidden" list so as to reduce clutter in a client's primary applicant list. Clients can still see that there are N number of hidden applicants, and they can choose to click on the hidden candidates list and review those candidates as well.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
3 of 13

I appreciate the reply, Preston, however, I think you did not understand what I actually meant... Sorry if I was not being clear. I am aware of those issues, but was asking about a different issue (which is confusingly related)

What I meant is the actual list of applicants -- Who made a proposal. That list is hidden from other freelancers. (only on certain jobs)

After applying for a job, it might show under "Activity for this job" on the right side of the page, for example:

11 applicants    

1 interview    

1 hire

And then when Viewing Job Posting, the list is empty, or just might show your own application, or the person that was hired (if anybody hired), or randomly would show all applicants... it's different on each job.

Thanks

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 13

Nadav,

Ah, yes, the list of applicants that have applied to a job, which list can be seen by the applicants themselves.

I certainly remember this.

I just took a look at some random jobs in my job feed, and I can see the list of candidates who sent in proposals, along with links to their profiles.

I don't need to apply to jobs to see this list.

So you see this list sometimes, but not all the time?

I seem to be able to see the list before applying, and I also see the list on jobs I have been invited to apply for and am in the "interview" stage with.

Ace Contributor
5 of 13

Preston,

Yes, I am also able to see the list before applying, however, it's kind of random for jobs that I applied to, was invited to, or being interviewed at.

About ones that already hired someone - those would show only the person hired as if he\she was the only applicant.

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
6 of 13

@Nadav I wrote:

Preston,

Yes, I am also able to see the list before applying, however, it's kind of random for jobs that I applied to, was invited to, or being interviewed at.

About ones that already hired someone - those would show only the person hired as if he\she was the only applicant.

Yes, I have already seen this a couple of times myself. 

Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
7 of 13

If I was hired to do a job I then see only myself in the proposals, as if only I had sent a proposal. I think that's what Nadav is trying to say. Yes, I've always found that super confusing and making little sense...

EDIT:

This is from a job I was hired to do recently. I well remember that there weren't 0 proposals, so that they are just 1 with mine. So, when you get hired to a job, probably the system just clears all proposals. Maybe the client declines all other proposals and that's why this stat below looks like this. It doesn't look like a bug to me, but it definitely looks strange Smiley Happy 1 proposal and 1 hire.

Screenshot 2015-09-27 12.48.47.png

Ace Contributor
8 of 13

I think it's a bug because it never happened up until a couple of weeks ago, and also if you look fast enough you will see it does show the number of applicant for a breif second while still loading the page, and then it would disappear.

It isn't a major bug, just a bit of an annoyance. I'd rather know who I'm up against.

Community Guru
Evelina H Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
9 of 13

I can't agree more with you, Nadav Smiley Happy That's what I do too. I always like to see where I am in the large mass of freelancers and who I compete against. Usually it works best when I apply (or consider applying) for a job. I see those who applied before me and consider if I can offer something better than they do, and if not, I don't waste connects. Usually, I don;t care about the proposals once I am hired Smiley Happy After all, I beat all the others if I got hired. But again, yes, I agree that it would have been great to be able to make some kind of retrospective analysis after getting hired.

So, if it's a bug or not, I don't know really. I had just noticed it recently. Or maybe it's a feature... Maybe Upwork calculates something. You probably see the number of proposals for a second, and then Upwork does its work and hides that. Hmm... Hah, this website revolves around speculations all the time. It's like the stock exchange Smiley Very Happy

Mabel P Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
10 of 13

Yes, I think it has been like that for 2 or 3 weeks. Before we could see who else sent the proposal, now we cant see that anymore. It was better when we could see who else was applying to the same job, on my personal opinion.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS