cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hidden applications of a Job

nandana1954
Nandana N Member Since: Sep 21, 2013
1 of 60
The Hidden Applicants feature is a very frustrating feature that oDesk has introduced recently. And I have experienced that it hides many talented applicants from the job applicants, and replace them with the new odeskers. And I hope that oDesk can offer their clients , a better service by introducing a filter system, to filter the applicants by their skills, hours, budget, etc. So it would be easier for the clients to choose the correct freelancers. Thanks.
stephench
Stephen C Member Since: Jul 29, 2010
2 of 60
I agree Nandana. If I took the long, hard and rough road from 2009-2014 to build my reputation and skillset they should have to climb the ladder as well, not have me pushed aside on a job I am more qualified for, just so odesk can build the lower tier freelancers up faster thus earning more money for odesk. The only time a job application is to be hidden from me is when I already have set my odesk profile too, "Not available for new work" because I have full time work currently. But, even then? What if I want out of my job? I can't find higher and better job applications due to the hidden app robot hiding them from me. My girlfriend recently signed up to odesk, filled out her profile right, gave her some wisdom to get off the ground, that being, "Do a couple of small quick jobs to get experience of the odesk platform,it's clients and procedures, star rating" and off she went to look for work. I also looked using my account.. Wouldn't you know it? It was like we worked for two different companies with completely different job search results. I found a job that was perfect for her, hotel industry doing sales inbound, bookings, confirmations and such. So I sent the link to her and it said it was restricted. Her bread and butter dream job being restricted from her view and being offered jobs that don't match her skill set. Looks like its time for writing a new algorithm odeskSmiley Wink
cameronjoseph
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Nov 5, 2011
3 of 60
It is past time to get rid of it all together.
amelantoney
Amal A Member Since: Jun 29, 2012
4 of 60
Hello It helps newbies to appear as applicant i have more than 3 years of experience in odesk and it hides my application this is very cruel and i am not getting any jobs from odesk now
amelantoney
Amal A Member Since: Jun 29, 2012
5 of 60
Yes i am supporting Nandana N Odesk is avoiding experienced talented freelancers from bidding .
l_pouncey
Community Guru
Linda P Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
6 of 60

Hello, I am considered a "NEWBIE".

What I am experiencing is that I have to bid “WAY BELOW” budgets, just to have my application appear, only to be declined by clients.  For Example, I recently bid on a $50 budget and it would not appear until I lowered it to $14.40 ($16.00 including fee). Another Example, I had to bid as low as $4.50 ($5.00 with fee) and was immediately declined.

What’s the deal?

Although I have years of actual experience for the “Skills”, still it does not matter.  Also, how many months does it normally take for someone to begin to even get hired here?

Landing jobs here is very frustrating.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 60

Hi Linda,

You can bid higher than the client's budget and your proposal will still appear. Sometimes it takes a bit of time for it to appear though and I suspect that was the reason why you didn't see your proposal right away. I have checked your account and it's not limited in any way so your proposals should show.

~ Valeria
Upwork
motyduke
Community Guru
Olivier P Member Since: May 25, 2015
8 of 60

Valeria , 

I am really surprised by what i read .

can you tell me if it is true that some applications are hidden ?

Why ? is it not really unfair both for freelancer and customer ?

And connects are used to send an apllication who will be Hidden ?

I need to understand what it means 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 60

Hi Olivier,

Actually we are currently testing a different way to display proposals to the clients. Please, see the information Garnor provided below:

@Garnor M. wrote:
We have been testing a new version of the proposal page for clients that provides a one-page view of all proposals submitted. With this version we are no longer "auto-hiding" proposals that are less of a fit for the job post. All proposals will be on one page, though by default we will only display up to 10 proposals. A client will have the option to click "More" to see all proposals submitted, again on the same screen and not separated into a different tab.

This new version is still being tested, but the results are promising and we expect to include more clients in this view over the coming months.

When we push this new version of the page live to all clients, we will announce this broadly to the Community.

I hope it helps.

~ Valeria
Upwork
chris_macartwork
Community Guru
Chris M Member Since: May 6, 2015
10 of 60

Hi,

How long has 'auto hiding' being implemented?

I didn't know that Upwork was vetting proposals and hiding ones that it thought were 'less of a fit'.

Is that allowed? How can Upwork block proposals?

Surely if Upwork is going to vet proposals then then it should let the freelancer know at the proposal stage. ie tell the freelancer that their proposal will be hidden because it's 'less of a fit'. The the freelancer can do something about it.

I see this is a relatively old thread - are all proposals being shown to the client now?

Or am I misunderstanding the situation?

I can't believe Upwork would intervene in the proposal process so dramatically - taking decisions whether to hide proposals from Clients.

Edited by me:

Oh Dear! I've just read the previous information via the link about auto hiding.

I can't believe it. Upwork is vetting proposals using it's own set of criteria that it thinks is best.

I hope the new system where auto hiding isn't applied comes into effect permanently.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS