Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hidden applications of a Job

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
11 of 60

I had no idea about auto hiding either. 

Shouldn't the CLIENT decide if the proposal is a good fit or not? 

I won't say any more because I don't want to hear that ax whistling above my head. I'm not that quick anymore. lol. 

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
12 of 60

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Olivier,

Actually we are currently testing a different way to display proposals to the clients. Please, see the information Garnor provided below:

@Garnor M. wrote:
We have been testing a new version of the proposal page for clients that provides a one-page view of all proposals submitted. With this version we are no longer "auto-hiding" proposals that are less of a fit for the job post. All proposals will be on one page, though by default we will only display up to 10 proposals. A client will have the option to click "More" to see all proposals submitted, again on the same screen and not separated into a different tab.

This new version is still being tested, but the results are promising and we expect to include more clients in this view over the coming months.

When we push this new version of the page live to all clients, we will announce this broadly to the Community.

I hope it helps.

Valeria,

I don't recall seeing answers to my two questions to Garnor (revised for clarity below):

• What is the default sort and/or filter that determines which 10 proposals head the list?
  • Do clients have their own sort and/or filter options for the proposal list?

I would appreciate it if you could research answers to these questions,

Thanks and best,

Michael

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
13 of 60

Hi Michael,

Currently the clients who have been introduced to the new version of the proposal page will see the proposals ordered by the best match. It means that proposals from freelancers who have a history of completing projects which are similar to the client's project and whose profiles match the client's requirements are more likely to be ranked higher. At this point clients don't have an option to adjust the sort order or filter the proposals.

~ Valeria
Upwork
researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
14 of 60
*sigh*

Thanks, Valeria.

Pretty much as I feared: Demonstrably flawed algorithms rule our livelihoods.

Best,
Michael
engranwaar
Muhammad A Member Since: Sep 4, 2015
15 of 60

Hi Valeria K

I really need help from you. Can you please review my profile whether is appropriate or not? I have applied for so many jobs but I did not get even single reply although I applied for so simple data entry jobs but I am not hired by any client. Is there fault or bug in my profile? Please help me out to figure out my first job frustration. I am applying for long time but not succeeded to get first job. Can you please guide me how to bid? how to write good proposal in client point of view. 

Here is my profile link:  https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0191fbcf86be7bb292

Second when I applied for the job , my profile overview is hidden , I mean to say that when put cursor on my proposal in the proposal list , my profile overview does not show up. why?

Third if I proposed copy paste cover letter which is technically 100% related to job requirement, can client find it as copy paste cover letter or can it be the reason for not showing my profile overview in the proposal list? Please tell me answer of my 3 questions.

Please help me; I am highly waiting for your reply!!!

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
16 of 60

Hi Muhammad,

I have checked job posts that you applied for and I can click on your name and view your profile, so can the clients.

As for your profile, there are a few things that can be changed there. I would recommend you remove first two lines of your overview and some other sentences that are too general and don't particularly tell the clients about your skills and experience. There are a few grammar and spelling errors (such as "focus" instead of "focused"). Make sure you capitalize words and insert spaces where appropriate. Additionally, remove any test scores that are below average until you are able to retake them.

You are applying for jobs in one of the most competitive categories of Data Entry, so make sure you write impeccable proposals to stand out of the crowd.

~ Valeria
Upwork
screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
17 of 60

Wait. 

So the client states their budget and you can't put that amount in..example, 50 bux budget, you put in 50 bux as a bid and it won't allow it til you get to rock bottom???? 

If the client has a 16 dollar budget the client shouldn't be allowed to say it's a 50 buck budget. 

I'm getting confused now as to how this is going to be another great idea. I'm not excited by this at all. not ONE bit. 

motyduke
Community Guru
Olivier P Member Since: May 25, 2015
18 of 60

Valeria 

I think it is really unfair to hide some proposals to customers . Because people lose 2 connects to make a proposal that will be hide to customer !!!!

Can you tell me if Upwork refund the connects lost of proposals hidden . I really think it is like a scam 

And i didnt know you hide some proposals . And why it is not the customer who decide which proposal is a good fit for him ?

I think if Upwork hide some proposals they need to write it before we send a proposal because i am sure many people dont know that their proposal can be hidden !

I am really disappointed of what i learn and the philosophy of it : i really think it is a very bad policy against freelancers 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
19 of 60

Hi Olivier,

We appreciate your feedback. Note that in the near future more clients will be introduced to the new view of proposals we are currently testing that doesn't have the hidden tab. 

If a proposal is hidden, the connects used to submit it are not returned. Connects are returned only in case of a job cancellation. However, if you applied for jobs within your skill set and sent original proposals where you addressed the client's requirements, it's very unlikely that your proposals were hidden. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
chris_macartwork
Community Guru
Chris M Member Since: May 6, 2015
20 of 60

Hi Valeria,

I'm glad the new system where proposals are not hidden is being introduced.

I'm sure many Upworkers do not realise their proposals might not be seen.

Freelancers proposals should be able to be seen at all times. It should be up to the Client to decide whether they view a proposal, not some Upwork suitability algorithm.

Please get the new always visible system up and running for all clients as soon as possible. I'm sure Clients and Freelancers alike will be very pleased if you do.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS