🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Hide earnings
Page options
g_urgeghe
Community Member

Hide earnings

I see some freelancers who use the plus membership that hide their earnings. I was curious to know who made it if there were any benefits or it doesn't make sense. On the one hand, showing your earnings is used to show the client the quality of the job, but perhaps with some clients it offers a better way to be able to negotiate the price of the job. Thanks if you want to share your experiences

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Giacomo U wrote:

I see some freelancers who use the plus membership that hide their earnings. I was curious to know who made it if there were any benefits or it doesn't make sense. On the one hand, showing your earnings is used to show the client the quality of the job, but perhaps with some clients it offers a better way to be able to negotiate the price of the job. Thanks if you want to share your experiences

It makes no sense at all.

It leads to less invites because clients wonder what the freelancer is trying to hide, and it excludes the freelancers from the search results of any search that includes an earnings element.

Clients the freelancers sends a proposal to and clients the freelancer is working with, can see the full earnings history anyway.

It also removes a great marketing tool. Seeing that other clients have successfully paid good money to a freelancer, helps clients trust that the freelancer will do a good job for the too.

varungs
Community Member

The main benefit is being able to "spoof" your hourly rate. For example, your profile can show an hourly rate of $55 and can show 1,000 hours worked, but you may actually only work at $25 an hour. Clients who visit your page (with private earnings) will be misled into thinking that all of your 1,000 hours are billed at or close to $55/hr. 

petra_r
Community Member

Varun G wrote:

The main benefit is being able to "spoof" your hourly rate. For example, your profile can show an hourly rate of $55 and can show 1,000 hours worked, but you may actually only work at $25 an hour. Clients who visit your page (with private earnings) will be misled into thinking that all of your 1,000 hours are billed at or close to $55/hr. 

What's the point? That only works until a communication has been established, then the client can see it all in it's full deceitful glory. Plus clients the freelancer has sent a proposal to can see it straight away.

I am also quite unsure in which parallel universe one would describe "misleading clients" as a "main benefit?"

That's right, I think  Petra be right, if you are a good freelancer with nice feedback, hourly rate and earnings are a good "tool" to show the customer the value of your work. The doubt came to me yesterday talking to another freelancer who told me that since he has hidden the earnings he has to do less negotiations with customers

Giacomo U wrote:

. The doubt came to me yesterday talking to another freelancer who told me that since he has hidden the earnings he has to do less negotiations with customers

You know, just because two things happen at the same time that does not mean one caused the other.

Also, it's nonsense, because the second communication is established, the client can see the entire earnings history again.......

i hope in the next months, to show my customers more zeros 🙂

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members