cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: High fees should filter out scams! Yes? No?

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
21 of 41

Kate wrote, "So, hey Upwork! How come you don't do anything to keep clearly labeled scams out of the notification system? Don't you think you could get some message FILTERS set up? Or would that mean you'd have to raise fees to 30%?"

Careful there, Kate. If I can paraphrase Will Rogers, I don't think Upwork has met a rationale to raise rates it didn't like.

22 of 41

Hey Upwork! Is there absolutely no vetting process for new clients? 

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
23 of 41

Really there is not.  Thousands of jobs are posted every day.  These scammers get banned and they just make a new account with a new email. Although verifying a clients payment method before posting may seem like it is the answer, but it's not.  The clients can post thier jobs on other sites for free and that is what they will do.  Then the gripe will be where are all the clients????  

Anyway it is ultimately the freelancer's responsibility to vet scammers.  Most don't bother reading the ToS of the site and they fall for it.  Eventually you will learn the red flags, yes it can sometimes be a waste of time.  I still get these invites and I can tell by reading the first few words that they are fake.  I just report it, decline it, and move on.  I decline it with a message to the scammer "Nice try, shame on you, you have been reported."

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Ace Contributor
Kate W Member Since: Apr 15, 2016
24 of 41

Katrina, if reporting them just leads them to change their name and do it again, as you just described, this is extremely inefficient. And if getting rid of the scammers would be so noticeable that freelancers would complain that there aren't enough clients, that would indicate that there are more scammers than true clients. Doesn't that bother you? 

I am struggling to find the specific services Upwork provides that necessitates such a big chunk of freelancer earnings. Or ANY chunk. 

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
25 of 41

@Kate W wrote:

I am struggling to find the specific services Upwork provides that necessitates such a big chunk of freelancer earnings. Or ANY chunk. 

I think that's highly subjective. As an individual freelancer, it's worth it to you or it's not.

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
26 of 41

My point is if Upwork made clients verify their payment method, there would be no new clients.  Most won't want to do that. Some will but most won't.  When you go shopping at the mall does a store verify your payment method before they let you in the door?

It is the freelancer's responsibility, hands down, to vet the clients the way that fits their business best.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Leader
Dan S Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
27 of 41

It looks like Upwork's plan to grow their business is to attract as many new clients (even though they are scammers) and as many new freelancers as possible so that they can boast that they are the biggest and best freelance site online.

The high fees only come into effect for the clients if they actually pay someone through Upwork. They won't pay anything to join and they won't pay anyone through Upwork for work so there is no penalty for them to join and try to scam people.

Freelancer beware, learn to not fall for the traps being set.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Ace Contributor
28 of 41

Well hiss spit meow. 

A flood of new non-legitimate users doesn't help anyone. I couldn't care less about what clients pay or don't pay. The freelancers are obviously carrying the weight of keeping Upwork in business, and for their commissions they should expect at least an attempt to be made at providing a good, clean client list. I know 100% assurance isn't possible, and yes, people should always be cautious when doing business with people they don't know. But again, what service is Upwork providing to make this site a cut above all others, or even make it worth the money a typical freelancer would have to spend for the privilege of wading through a toxic wasteland of spurious job listings just like they could do for free?

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
29 of 41

@Dan S wrote:

It looks like Upwork's plan to grow their business is to attract as many new clients (even though they are scammers) and as many new freelancers as possible so that they can boast that they are the biggest and best freelance site online....

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Dan,

No. Upwork is actively restricting new memberships, based not only on applicant qualifications but on applications to saturated markets. 

And it burns my biscuits when guys deprecate any disagreement between women by calling it a catfight. Tone it down, stud!

Best,

Michael

Ace Contributor
30 of 41

From Upwork Help Center:

Know Your Customer (KYC) is a program developed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury, as part of the U.S. Patriot Act. It exists to ensure a person is who they say they are and does what they say they are doing.

The review process is handled behind the scenes on an as needed basis. Occasionally we will reach out directly with requests for ID Verification. Our goal is to simply ensure the identity and information provided by a user is accurate, and that Upwork is being used in the way it is intended.

From Upwork Terms of Service:

Upwork makes no representations about, and does not guarantee the quality, safety, or legality of, the Freelancer Services; the truth or accuracy of Freelancer’s listings on the Site; the qualifications, background, or identities of Users; the ability of Freelancers to deliver the Freelancer Services; the ability of Clients to pay for the Freelancer Services; or that a Client or Freelancer can or will actually complete a transaction.

So, on the one hand, Upwork gives the impression that they vet at least some users. Then in the ToS, they clearly state that they wash their hands of all responsibility. This doesn't bother anyone? Again, I ask, what services does Upwork actually provide other than a bulletin board service?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS