cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High fees should filter out scams! Yes? No?

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
31 of 41

Actually no it doesn't bother me.  I run my business not Upwork.  I choose my clients, not Upwork.  If I don't want to work with someone, I don't. Upwork doesn't force me to.  I guess I don't see your point.  I run my business.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
32 of 41

@Kate W wrote:

So, on the one hand, Upwork gives the impression that they vet at least some users. Then in the ToS, they clearly state that they wash their hands of all responsibility. This doesn't bother anyone? Again, I ask, what services does Upwork actually provide other than a bulletin board service?

That is standard practice for virtually every web platform that allows for user generated content--all site owners want the authority to remove things as necessary while avoiding liability for failing to do so.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
33 of 41

@Kate W wrote:

From Upwork Help Center:

Know Your Customer (KYC) is a program developed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury, as part of the U.S. Patriot Act. It exists to ensure a person is who they say they are and does what they say they are doing.

The review process is handled behind the scenes on an as needed basis. Occasionally we will reach out directly with requests for ID Verification. Our goal is to simply ensure the identity and information provided by a user is accurate, and that Upwork is being used in the way it is intended.

From Upwork Terms of Service:

Upwork makes no representations about, and does not guarantee the quality, safety, or legality of, the Freelancer Services; the truth or accuracy of Freelancer’s listings on the Site; the qualifications, background, or identities of Users; the ability of Freelancers to deliver the Freelancer Services; the ability of Clients to pay for the Freelancer Services; or that a Client or Freelancer can or will actually complete a transaction.

So, on the one hand, Upwork gives the impression that they vet at least some users. Then in the ToS, they clearly state that they wash their hands of all responsibility. This doesn't bother anyone? Again, I ask, what services does Upwork actually provide other than a bulletin board service?

Sorry, Kate, these are two red herrings. Briefly paraphrased, they are:

• Upwork follows the law.
  • Upwork is not responsible for the successful completion of contracts, or the good faith or satisfaction of the contracting parties.

No corporate lawyer in existence would allow them to operate without compliance in the first case and a disclaimer in the second.

That has nothing to do with the nature of services provided, or their cost.

Best,

Michael

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
34 of 41

@Tom R wrote:

....It is not unheard of for these people to drop thousands of dollars in a month because their scams have high returns making that few thousand they spent seem like a drop in the bucket....

Good point, Tom!

I got an invitation the other day from a $75,000+ Upwork client whose Internet presence consists of a series of dubious businesses that seem designed—legally or otherwise—to prey upon the gullible. There's a sucker born every minute, said a man who built a successful entertainment empire on that principle.

Best,

Michael

Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
35 of 41

From relic sellers during the medieval period, all the way through to the advent of the internet, there have been scammers.  Neandertals probably received cave art that promised all the free mammoth they could eat, in just 3 easy steps.

There are ways to mitigate the threat, but nothing that will ever rid them completely from platforms where many people gather.  Whether we're talking about the ever popular check scam or Michael's more subtle and well-cloaked example, I think we can agree that were it easy to target and eliminate them, we'd have done so by now.

For the purposes of this thread, it's my opinion that the onus is always going to be on the individual freelancer.  It doesn't matter if they are charging $3/hr or $300/hr. or whether they have 2 months experience, or 25 years. Ultimately, it's just one of those personal responsibility things that we all have to practice, no matter where we are.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
36 of 41

Hi All,

Please, note that a few replies on this thread have been removed or edited. We appreciate a discussion, however, posts that are disparaging of other members won't be allowed. Forums like the Community are at their best when participants treat each other with respect and courtesy.

We do appreciate your participation, so please be considerate of this in your future replies.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Emmanuel S Member Since: Mar 17, 2016
37 of 41

I don't think high fees will filter out any scam, because these people always set higher fake budgets. You will see that some of them have been a member since 2010, but payment unverified. And they will set their budget to $5000.

Ace Contributor
Kate W Member Since: Apr 15, 2016
38 of 41

Thanks for all the rants, y'all. They show a rich and diverse number of pet peeves and personal issues. I still question whether there are any good faith efforts by Upwork to deliver services that merit the payments they now require. However, I do enjoy that they decided to **Edited for Community Guidelines**. 

This widget could not be displayed.
39 of 41

@Kate W wrote:

Thanks for all the rants, y'all. They show a rich and diverse number of pet peeves and personal issues. I still question whether there are any good faith efforts by Upwork to deliver services that merit the payments they now require. However, I do enjoy that they decided to **Edited for Community Guidelines**. 

I really miss some freelancers' interesting contributions who have given up already. I would appreciate if the moderators could take action earlier against people who behave like a troll, insult other freelancers and disseminate content just to draw attraction. They poison the atmosphere and lower the quality of the community. We also do not need **Edited for Community Guidelines** who always defend peevishly what they regard as Upwork's positions.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
40 of 41

Hi Kate and Margarete,

I'd like to reiterate that degrading other members is not allowed in the Community and we will continue to address comments which are violating our Guidelines, regardless of the user's standpoint.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS