cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High percentage of clients dont hire nobody

Slobodan D Member Since: Nov 7, 2018
1 of 20

Hello fellow Upworkers. I know this is an old subject but this is getting very serious. Im not talking about client with complicated projects or any other case that is called for. Im talking about a simple projects like editing a photo or removing background that are being posted as urgent, where 50 to 100 proposals are sent and no one is hired or interviewed. It a major thing now, maybe 80% of all jobs i have applied. Is it possible that none of these candidats are meeting the criteria in so many cases or is it just a matter that the clients dont want to hire in the first place? Connects are being wasted, not to mention time. Its hard enough to find a decent job without this problem, with this problem it is next to impossible. Especially for the new members. 

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
2 of 20

If you don't have connects to spare, only apply to jobs with clients who have a history of previous hires. You can see their % hire rate next to the job listing. 

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
3 of 20

Slobodan D wrote:

Hello fellow Upworkers. I know this is an old subject but this is getting very serious. Im not talking about client with complicated projects or any other case that is called for. Im talking about a simple projects like editing a photo or removing background that are being posted as urgent, where 50 to 100 proposals are sent and no one is hired or interviewed. It a major thing now, maybe 80% of all jobs i have applied. Is it possible that none of these candidats are meeting the criteria in so many cases or is it just a matter that the clients dont want to hire in the first place? Connects are being wasted, not to mention time. Its hard enough to find a decent job without this problem, with this problem it is next to impossible. Especially for the new members. 

Clients are not required to hire anyone just because they post a job ... why should they be? It's not a serious problem, it just is what it is. Many clients post their jobs to multiple platforms and hire elsewhere. Many freelancers and clients take their work off the site, which is a serious problem. Some freelancers will do the work (if the client has attached an image to the job), and submit the finished file with their bid, and then come crying to the forums because they were never hired or paid. Upwork is never going to force clients to hire someone just because they post a job ... it's not going to happen.

Connects are free and if you think using them is a waste, perhaps Upwork isn't a good fit for you. As is said over and over again, connects are part of the cost of doing business as a freelancer. There is skill involved in recognizing and having a good feel for the RFPs you respond to. Perhaps start choosing more carefully the jobs you bid on.

4 of 20

Ok, tell me how to choose a job that is real and not the one that is not? Connects and time are not free, if You send to many proposals and dont get a job You can get suspended. One way to lift the suspension is to pay a Premium. When i wrote about this problem i said that there is 80 percent chance that client doesnt hire nobody. I wasnt talking about the projects that are on other platforms or complicated projects. I work on other platforms and that isnt the rule there, people do get hired, me too. So, its not my fault i guess, its just that Upwork attracts a lot of spammer clients.And that is something that is escalating. Maybe we could have an option to mark those clients as such? So other freelancers would not waste time. And surely im not talking about the clients that have 1 or 2 projects with no hire, im talking about the ones with repeating behaviour. So read carefully and dont jump to conclution fast as last time. Thanks.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
BEST ANSWER
5 of 20

Can you not tell by looking at the prospective client's hire rate if they fall into the category to which you object? Investing time in investigating leads is a requirement for owning your own business. If you are not interested in spending that time, then you need to work for an agency who will place you with guaranteed jobs. Rarely does one get to have both the freedom of freelancing and the security of an employer. 

6 of 20

Thank You Tonya and David, this is a good advice. I will look more carefully at the hire rate. 

Community Guru
7 of 20

Slobodan D wrote:

Ok, tell me how to choose a job that is real and not the one that is not? Connects and time are not free, if You send to many proposals and dont get a job You can get suspended. One way to lift the suspension is to pay a Premium. When i wrote about this problem i said that there is 80 percent chance that client doesnt hire nobody. I wasnt talking about the projects that are on other platforms or complicated projects. I work on other platforms and that isnt the rule there, people do get hired, me too. So, its not my fault i guess, its just that Upwork attracts a lot of spammer clients.And that is something that is escalating. Maybe we could have an option to mark those clients as such? So other freelancers would not waste time. And surely im not talking about the clients that have 1 or 2 projects with no hire, im talking about the ones with repeating behaviour. So read carefully and dont jump to conclution fast as last time. Thanks.

Just because no one is hired means the job is not real. I rarely apply to jobs that get no hires, because I know what jobs to bid on by doing the research Tonya suggests.

And hello ... spammers are everywhere, including other freelance sites. The kind of vetting you're asking for would mean major time and expense on Upwork's part to police. Meaning that cost would be passed on to us by higher fees. The conclusions I jumped to are spot on.

There's a simple solution. If you don't like the way this platform works, you don't have to use it.

Ace Contributor
Louis D Member Since: Sep 27, 2010
8 of 20

major time and expense on Upwork's part to police. Meaning that cost would be passed on to us by higher fees.

Like the 50% fee increase for all new jobs a couple of years back? Isn't it possible that there could be some automated solution as opposed to physical policing? You seem very intent to dismiss the OPs issue - but it's a real one. The time spent appying to post-and-run jobs adds up. May be an externality to upwork.. but it adds up to contractors. 

Community Guru
9 of 20

Louis D wrote:

major time and expense on Upwork's part to police. Meaning that cost would be passed on to us by higher fees.

Like the 50% fee increase for all new jobs a couple of years back? Isn't it possible that there could be some automated solution as opposed to physical policing? You seem very intent to dismiss the OPs issue - but it's a real one. The time spent appying to post-and-run jobs adds up. May be an externality to upwork.. but it adds up to contractors. 

I'm dismissing because for the most part, it is not an issue. There are thousands of clients and even more freelancers on this site. Somehow some of us know how to connect with clients who hire. The vast majority of jobs I apply to are new clients with no hiring history at all, yet turn out to be great clients to work with. There is skill in recognizing good clients/RFPs - and most of the freelancers who do well on this site have that skill. If all the OP's bids are on jobs that never get hired, there's an issue, but it's not on Upwork's part.

Ace Contributor
David S M Member Since: Apr 24, 2018
10 of 20

There is skill in recognizing good clients/RFPs 

Virgina, 

What strategies do you use to recognizing good client/RFP's? That might be helpful advice for the OP. 

Thanks. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS