cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Higher monthly fee, higher connects...no benefit

Patrick C Member Since: Jun 21, 2016
1 of 23

I pay more each month and it costs more connects on jobs.  Why?  I'm not seeing any benefit from this.  It's even becoming harder to get the good jobs because I have to raise my prices.  At least refund connects if a project is cancelled or just sits there without selecting a winner.

Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
2 of 23

Sadly i think you are somewhat correct. When i first heard of the new system i was a little skeptical and didnt like the idea. However, after some thought i decided it might work well. First 2 weeks of the switchover were great, loads of jobs and much fewer proposals. However, now that seems to have got much worse, Jobs with proper descriptions and budgets are thin on the ground and even $10 unverified client jobs seem to be getting 20+ proposals.

The system i thought was to reduce the number of proposals but its increased massively in my sector. I am just trying to sit it out in the hope things calm down and get back to normal soon. In the mean time i am trying a few other platforms to supplement my work.

Community Guru
Robin H Member Since: May 28, 2019
3 of 23

I agree.  There's also no logic in the # of connects for the job.  As clients don't feel like filling out the form and therefore provide little to no information, they click on whatever to get the job posted.  This means many jobs are not 1-3 months, 6+ months or even hourly jobs requiring 6 connects.  I'm passing on applying to jobs listing 6 connects that may generate $100-$150 in revenue for me.  

UW needs to revisit this.  

Community Guru
Jonathan H Member Since: Jun 19, 2019
4 of 23

Indeed! I to am avoiding any unverified client jobs that are more than 2 connects - or under a certain budget. I think any new client should have a max of 2 connect charge, at least untill 1 job has been awarded.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 23

Robin H wrote:

I agree.  There's also no logic in the # of connects for the job.  As clients don't feel like filling out the form and therefore provide little to no information, they click on whatever to get the job posted.  This means many jobs are not 1-3 months, 6+ months or even hourly jobs requiring 6 connects.  I'm passing on applying to jobs listing 6 connects that may generate $100-$150 in revenue for me.  

UW needs to revisit this.  

Perhaps that's exactly what Upwork hoped to accomplish?

Community Guru
Robin H Member Since: May 28, 2019
6 of 23

Then unfortunately clients will have job posts lacking proposals.  If this is the case, they'll be coming to these forums in search of answers....

Time will tell. 

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
7 of 23

Robin H wrote:

Then unfortunately clients will have job posts lacking proposals.  If this is the case, they'll be coming to these forums in search of answers....

Time will tell. 

Well, that's the other side of the coin. It's not like clients have it so easy either. Clients are down to 3 invites before they have to pay fees just to invite (per job). Things are being whittled down on both ends with, AFAIK, the goal of better-paying, less spam-y jobs (and fewer faux "jobs") as well as higher-quality freelancers.

I can't imagine, though, that clients will in general find it impossible to fill their jobs. There are still way, way more freelancers than clients, and that won't really change - it's the way of the world, not the way of UW specifically or any other platform. There will always be thousands of people saying "please buy this!" to every one person saying "will you take some money from me, please?" Smiley Very Happy That's the nature of selling/buying services or products.

I will say that as a newcomer to the client's side as well (I have been a freelancer for years), my small jobs have been getting responses for sure. Sometimes they're nightmarish - I posted about that previously on here - but that was always the case. For just one job so far, I wasn't able to find anybody at all who fit my criteria. The rest got filled with high-quality freelancers.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 23

Robin H wrote:

I'm not getting why that would be unfortunate. If the goal is to steer freelancers to the jobs that are profitable for Upwork and away from little crap that's gumming up the works, why would it be a bad things if those clients lacked proposals?

Patrick C Member Since: Jun 21, 2016
9 of 23

I'm actually trying to rely more on Facebook, Instagram, etc. for jobs.  It's free and I think I reach more people that way.  I've been with Upwork since it was eLance years ago.  I've gotten some good clients here but it seems to be getting harder to find the better paying jobs.  The more I look into it, it seems that Upwork is just trying to make a buck.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 23

Patrick C wrote:

The more I look into it, it seems that Upwork is just trying to make a buck.

Imagine that... a company that would like to make a buck. Who'd have thought it? An outrage Smiley Wink ...

Do bear in mind that it is the height of summer, which always leads in a slump in posted jobs AND there are all those students who usually use Upwork sporadically for pocket money, aggressively bidding as they are between semesters.

Normality will hopefully return come September.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS