Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Higher monthly fee, higher connects...no benefit

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
21 of 23

Sangeeta M wrote:

As we know freelancing is tough and its just like selling your skills to others, not matter how much investement you are making, how much connects you are buying but one thing we need from upwork at that time is that, there should be 1 week time for client for a job, if within 1 week clients hires someone it ok for all. But if not, then job will be deleted automatically and connects will be refunded. So, clients will make their decisions faster, or post new job. In that case, a shedule of connects and porposals runs continues. 

I have more than 40 submitted proposal and spent 140 connects in past 1 month, no client response, no project, no submitted proposal archived. And, now, i need to think tqice before bidding on a new job, clients are really hiring or not?

Yes. That is the point. You should carefully evaluate each job posted and only bid if you are willing to risk the value of your connects. Look at the client's hiring history and only bid on jobs that you are confident you have a good chance of winning. Freelancing is not easy and it requires making careful business decisions every day. Treat your connects as treasure to be used sparingly. 

Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
22 of 23

Sangeeta M wrote:

As we know freelancing is tough and its just like selling your skills to others, not matter how much investement you are making, how much connects you are buying but one thing we need from upwork at that time is that, there should be 1 week time for client for a job, if within 1 week clients hires someone it ok for all. But if not, then job will be deleted automatically and connects will be refunded. So, clients will make their decisions faster, or post new job. In that case, a shedule of connects and porposals runs continues. 

I have more than 40 submitted proposal and spent 140 connects in past 1 month, no client response, no project, no submitted proposal archived. And, now, i need to think tqice before bidding on a new job, clients are really hiring or not?

I don't think you've thought this out. I often hire for my business and in my previous positions as a manager, not through UpWork, and it takes far longer than a week to determine the right person, even if I'm hiring a consultant. Furthermore, while some of my clients have selected me quickly, I have about 3 on the back burner right now who I am about 95% certain will be hiring me once they are ready to start their project. They looked for me, found me, but need some time on their end to get everything together to get to me. If they had to close their job within a week, they'd never have found/hired me and would be discouraged from using the platform. Hiring can take more than a week, especially if it's a big job or long-term, and the client is trying to make sure it's the right person. 

Evi-Irena I Member Since: Apr 25, 2018
23 of 23

I feel that 6 connects is way too high. The worst part is that clients either intentionally misrepresent their intentions or are unaware of how the platform works. I do not apply to fixed-rate jobs but so often clients essentially "turn the tables" and ask for a fixed rate instead, or indicate that they never intended to pay hourly in the first place.

That's time and connects wasted for the freelancer; it really bites now that we're tossing away 6 connects on jobs that we would not bid on in the first place.

I feel that if jobs are cancelled or the client has misrepresented their intentions, connects should be refunded. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS