🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Hired but no contact afterwards? Causing ...
Page options
pritomd
Community Member

Hired but no contact afterwards? Causing JSS to drop?

Hello - I have a contract open which was actually my first contract on Upwork. After being hired, the client never contacted me again, so I wasn't able to do any work.

Since then, I've had multiple contracts which ended up great, 5 stars. Before this past Sunday, I had 100% JSS. Between the time I got 100% and this past Sunday, I did not finish any contracts, yet my JSS dropped to 90%.

A) Is this because of my first contract opened back in April which has no time charged to it? Is it to the point of affecting my JSS now?

B) How should I handle? I've messaged and emailed the client but no response. It's been over 2 months. How should I handle to do the minimal damage to my JSS?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Zeeshan M wrote:

You will be given an opportunity to write an explanation. This is your best bet in damage control.

Completely pointless as contracts which led to no earnings do not show on either the client's or the freelancer's profile. The only damage control would be earning money.

An hourly contract with no time logged or monex paid at all will count as a unsuccessful contract and hurt the JSS. No damage mitigation possibe.

Pritom D wrote:

A) Is this because of my first contract opened back in April which has no time charged to it? Is it to the point of affecting my JSS now?

B) How should I handle? I've messaged and emailed the client but no response. It's been over 2 months. How should I handle to do the minimal damage to my JSS?

A - Yes, at 2+ months it does. 

B - Close the contract. The damage is done unless you can legitimately log 10 minutes of time (or at least one Dollar's worth) of time under the contract, which would reverse the damage.

In future, do not accept a contract until you have what you need to log at least 10 minutes of time, which would render the contract harmless.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
11f7a755
Community Member

Submit the work if you haven't already. Request for payment. Wait 14 days. If you have done your part of notifying the client, then this the best way to minimize damage.

pritomd
Community Member

Thanks for the response. Sorry, I forgot to mention that this was for an hourly contract.

On a separate but related note, I've seen before that I should wait until I have all the info I need to get started, but unfortunately this was my very first contract from when I first started so I was eager to start. Plus, I need to be invited to the client's platform and I'm not sure if a client would do that unless I was hired first...

11f7a755
Community Member

Yes Pritom. You have to detail out the terms to the tiniest fine print to avoid such circumstances. (Then again I never worked hourly). I understand this was your first contract, but if your client is nonresponsive you might have to consider ending the contract. You will be given an opportunity to write an explanation. This is your best bet in damage control.

Legal disclaimer: Do not quote me on that one.

petra_r
Community Member

Zeeshan M wrote:

You will be given an opportunity to write an explanation. This is your best bet in damage control.

Completely pointless as contracts which led to no earnings do not show on either the client's or the freelancer's profile. The only damage control would be earning money.

An hourly contract with no time logged or monex paid at all will count as a unsuccessful contract and hurt the JSS. No damage mitigation possibe.

Pritom D wrote:

A - Yes, at 2+ months it does. 

B - Close the contract. The damage is done unless you can legitimately log 10 minutes of time (or at least one Dollar's worth) of time under the contract, which would reverse the damage.

In future, do not accept a contract until you have what you need to log at least 10 minutes of time, which would render the contract harmless.

11f7a755
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Zeeshan M wrote:

It is not. If Pritom later on becomes Top Rated and if his comment under "reason to end the contract" leaves a trace, then he will have better shot at removing those odd cases which affect JSS.

pritomd
Community Member

Thank you all, I'll go ahead and let the client know (if he's still checking but ghosting me) that I'll be ending in a day or two with no earnings / work done.

petra_r
Community Member

Pritom D wrote:

Thank you all, I'll go ahead and let the client know (if he's still checking but ghosting me) that I'll be ending in a day or two with no earnings / work done.

Why don't you use the tracker while writing to the client to create a 10 minute segment? All it needs is a $ 1.00 payment (or more) to reverse the effect of the contract on your JSS. I'm sure you spent more than 10 minutes over the last 2 months trying to discuss the project with the client?

pritomd
Community Member

I was actually thinking about this, just billing 10 minutes just to get a dollar amount billed (even if it was small).

But, I was just wondering about the ethics of it, since I was thinking I had done no work...but you're right, there's still the time in trying to get organized?

I actually shot the client a note today and by some twist of fate, they actually responded and maybe we can actually get this work done? And it may solve itself? Who knows.

But appreciate the input!

petra_r
Community Member

Zeeshan M wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Zeeshan M wrote:

It is not. If Pritom later on becomes Top Rated and if his comment under "reason to end the contract" leaves a trace, then he will have better shot at removing those odd cases which affect JSS.

Wrong again. Please don't mislead people by making up stuff.

When he becomes top rated he can choose a contract to exclude and there is no such thing as "having a shot at..." You ask for it to be excluded, it is excluded. The end.

Whatever box he clicked while closing the contract is utterly irrelevant to that process and always has been.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths