🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Hired but unresponsive client
Page options
j_nino_bedoya
Community Member

Hired but unresponsive client

Hello, everyone!

So, I sent my proposal to certain job posting... great! He hired me. Okay, now, I ask him to give me his documents to organize and sort (admin. support), but he's unresponsive... he hired 3 freelancers and none of them have worked. I sent several messages to the client but still no answer, what should I do? Why would he hire us without giving us anything to do? Does this affect my recently acquired Job Success? Should I close the contract?

Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Juan Diego N wrote:
Hi, the contract started on Feb 21. I just don't see any logic in hiring people randomly and then disappear.

Because there isn't any logic to it. As you are at 2-weeks there is of course a strong reason to believe this person is gone. You could ask Customer Service to reach out to him. Chances are slim he would respond to them and not you, but no harm in trying. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
petra_r
Community Member

Juan Diego N wrote:

So, I sent my proposal to certain job posting... great! He hired me. Okay, now, I ask him to give me his documents to organize and sort (admin. support), but he's unresponsive... he hired 3 freelancers and none of them have worked. I sent several messages to the client but still no answer, what should I do? Why would he hire us without giving us anything to do? Does this affect my recently acquired Job Success? Should I close the contract?

Never (!) accept a contract without having what you need to start working on it.

There is no rush, but long term the contract, if it stays inactive over many weeks, will hurt your JSS.

Don't close it yet because then it would hurt your JSS straight away because contracts that close with nothing ever paid and no feedback hurt your JSS.

Is your contract fixed rate or hourly?

Hi Petra;

Is hourly. What do I do? Upwork should take a stance against this behavior.

One thing you don't indicate is over what period of time this has taken place.  If it has been weeks then I'd say you have an issue. If it has been some days then I'd say hold tight. Things can happen to people without warning so while it's certainly frustrating to be in the dark, I'd make sure you gave it sufficient time before sounding an alarm. 

Hi, the contract started on Feb 21. I just don't see any logic in hiring people randomly and then disappear.

Juan Diego N wrote:

Because there isn't any logic to it. As you are at 2-weeks there is of course a strong reason to believe this person is gone. You could ask Customer Service to reach out to him. Chances are slim he would respond to them and not you, but no harm in trying. 

Hmm, if I contact support, and then the client end my contract without any feedback or anything, can Upwork make an exemption with my JSS?

Juan Diego N wrote:
Hmm, if I contact support, and then the client end my contract without any feedback or anything, can Upwork make an exemption with my JSS?

I don't think they can. I realize that seems unfair and I get it, but no, I don't think they'll just make an exemption.

This is incredible [sigh], I suppose is not the rule but this can happen.

Thank you all! I contacted Customer Support.

Juan Diego N wrote:
This is incredible [sigh], I suppose is not the rule but this can happen.

Thank you all! I contacted Customer Support.

I know... 😞 Well, it can't hurt to ask. Let us know how this turns out.

On top of that, I've messaged him when he's online... So he has been online, and if I'm correct (when the client sees your message you can't edit it), he has seen my messages.

Will do!

Thank you, Petra, Scott and Melanie.
Have a good day guys!

Update: I ended the contract, my JSS went from 100% to 94%.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members