🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Hiring a freelancer while staying on good ter...
Page options
d99545a9
Community Member

Hiring a freelancer while staying on good terms with other candidates?

Hi all,

I recently posted my first job on Upwork. 

Received proposals - and I like several of them. Will select one soon.

My question is:

What's the best way to let other candidates know that while they weren't selected for this project, I still would love to consider them in the future?

I'm especially thinking of situation where something doesn't work out with the selected freelancer for some reason. In this case I'd like to be able to offer the job to one of the other candidates.

Thanks,

Leo

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tlsanders
Community Member

It's true that you don't have to respond at all and most freelancers here are used to not hearing back from most clients. But, if you have freelancers you are especially interested in, then a quick note to say that you've selected someone else for this project but like their (background, samples, whatever---I don't know what field you're in) and will reach out if another project arises that's a good fit for them would likely be appreciated and would provide a better bridge to your later cold contact.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
versailles
Community Member

Leo R wrote:

Hi all,

I recently posted my first job on Upwork. 

Received proposals - and I like several of them. Will select one soon.

My question is:

What's the best way to let other candidates know that while they weren't selected for this project, I still would love to consider them in the future?

You don't have to communicate with the ones that you have not selected. You can add them into your favorite list so you can talk to them later if the need arises, but you don't have to write them if you don't hire them.

Sometimes a freelancer sends many proposals. I would be a nightmare if each client messaged them back to apologize for not hiring them.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
tlsanders
Community Member

It's true that you don't have to respond at all and most freelancers here are used to not hearing back from most clients. But, if you have freelancers you are especially interested in, then a quick note to say that you've selected someone else for this project but like their (background, samples, whatever---I don't know what field you're in) and will reach out if another project arises that's a good fit for them would likely be appreciated and would provide a better bridge to your later cold contact.

Applauding and agreeing with Tiffany's suggestion. It works wonders for receptivity to possible future posts you might have ... and, frankly, it pays to be honest. In all sorts of ways.

Thanks Tiffany, that's a great advice.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members