Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Not sure why all the crying

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
31 of 47

Thanks for letting everyone know about the disdain you have for freelancers Jason R. I know you don't like mingling with freelancers so I'm impressed that you came over to the dark side to voice your one sided opinion. 

I actually deleted the bulk of my lengthy one sided opinon because i don't want the powers that be to waste their time (again) in deleting my posts because of some infraction of the community guidelines (again). 

I will send you some positive vibes.. that's all i can do right now... 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
32 of 47

"Sorry, but you should work for less when you work from home"

Why should I work for less just because my office is in my house and not in a corporate property? I'm using exactly the same skills to do exactly the same work. I don't see any reason why I shouldn't charge exactly the same rates. Your opinion may differ, but frankly I don't give a toss about your opinion. You don't get to set my rates; I do. You may say you don't want to work with me on my terms but, again, I don't give a toss; you already burned that bridge.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Highlighted
Community Guru
33 of 47

i deleted comment because it wasn't necessary. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
34 of 47

what is it about this darn FORUM that makes me keep coming back!! arrrgh. 

Even the rating system hardly guarantee's your not going to get a scumbag or incompetent person to do your work for you. (I left the errors in to keep it authentic)

Jason R, that same phrase can be used replacing ' to do your work for you' with 'to take a contract from' so I totally agree the rating system hardly guarantees anything. 

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
35 of 47

"Sorry, but you should work for less when you work from home"

A lot of people think that, but they usually don't really understand exactly what's involved. In some cases, hiring a freelancer can be cheaper than employing them... so I can understand your confusion, but if an employee gets paid $20 an hour, then that doesn't mean it costs the company $20 an hour to employ them. National insurance contributions, healthcare, sick pay, holiday pay, a desk, a chair, a computer, software, training time, a water cooler, the Christmas party, the building they work in, somebody to manage them, additional HR staff etc etc.

You'd be lucky if that $20 an hour employee cost you $40. $50 or even $60 wouldn't be unheard of.

Therefore, I've updated your statement for you...

"Sorry, but you should work for more when you work from home"

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Highlighted
Jacques A Member Since: Oct 19, 2013
36 of 47
How is this different to any normal situation in a company ? In my 18 years of Networking / Programming in the corporate world 50% of all staff i ever worked would match what you have written. This has nothing to do with using a freelancer. You also have posted in the freelancer forum and not the client forum, there are many freelancers here trying to add value to their clients.
Highlighted
Andreas B Member Since: Apr 27, 2009
37 of 47
Probably the problem is completely somewhere else. Competition is OK but often and i would say mostly on ODESK is an illegal competition. I really hope that ODESK introduces LICENSE Checks for all people working on Windows or Adobe Projects (the majority of projects involves licensed software!) Even an copywriter writing his text in word. Many Asien countries have huge problems to enforce their laws about Fake copies and Pirated software. I am working in one of those countries using official licensed software and mostly Free Open Source Software. We like the inspections of the BSA as they usually bring lots of customers to us and other agencies which use Free Open Source Software. But when we can't work with pricings offered by people who probably run their Windows machines with complete ADOBE suites newest version of course. It would be quite easy to control and keep or actually ban all those fakers and pirated out of ODESK to make it again a trustworthy place! ODESK seems to ignore those problems because they make a lot of money with all those projects coming in. No matter if produced with legal or with illegal machines and perhaps even from people working in places without work permit or working without paying their taxes top they home and living countries either!!! I really hope that ODESK starts checking everyone if they are registered and have a TAX number. Everyone can get one from the Government in any country. So this is pretty easy to enforce. Beside this from any foreigner loving and working in another country (check his address) needs a workpermit - So let him send you his workpermit. By the way actually when you get his Tax number he usually has a workpermit even if he is working in a foreign country but for proof this would be important. Than in any project involved Windows and Adobe and some other licensed Software I really advise ODESK to work together with BSA and report those people for a check of their license numbers.I am pretty sure that if all those none tax payers, all those illegal workers and especially all those who use pirated software to produce their mostly low but often even very high priced products get banned we will have a nice small family of professionals and dedicated workers here on ODESK. Until than it is much better to use places like Linked in to find professionals - Here also the Client money does not get kept for 5-6 days by ODESKS and nowone is cutting off additional charges for transfer costs like ODESK is doing it by trasfering the developers money to paypal or the bank (30$ they charge here!!!) Azimo.com charges 10$ for the same job! only to name one as an example and work can start immediately! Kind regards!
Highlighted
Community Guru
Junelle A Member Since: May 31, 2009
38 of 47
wow you've been here since 2009 and you still have a fake name and fake profile. [quote=ABC TEAM]It would be quite easy to control and keep or actually ban all those fakers and pirated out of ODESK to make it again a trustworthy place![/quote] how ironic!
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou
Try harder, or care less.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
39 of 47
It's just a lack of your ability to find a good worker. Nothing else.
Ciprian A Member Since: Jan 17, 2014
40 of 47
I am also a coder. When a client ask for a full working website for $10 they deserve a buggy site. Only then he will learn to respect a pro and pay for the full price. When you go to the store you pay extra for guarantee and quality, why is oDesk any different? In my country (Romania)there is a saying: "I am too poor to buy cheap stuff" !!!
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS