🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Hirring Manager without contract
Page options
osama088
Community Member

Hirring Manager without contract

One of my clients invited me to be on his team as a hirring manager, I had a contract with him but I closed it due to inactivity as we will not be doing any payments untill the whole project is complete. do I need to have an active contract with that client to work as a hirring manager on his team?
He already invited me but I can't switch to his account...
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You could have had the client set up a contract, gotten your upfront payment, then had him fund the escrow account for the remainder. It would not have negatively impacted your JSS to have left the contract open for two months, as long as some money had been paid.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Osama,

If a potential client told me they wouldn't pay me until their project is complete I would tell them that is unacceptable.

For a fixed price project, even if they agreed to fund all of escrow upfront it is too easy for a shady client to just disappear after they get what they want from a freelancer and never release escrow.

For an hourly project, the paid-everything-at-the-end arrangement would require that you submit manual hours for payment. Within the Upwork system there is no means of enforcing payment by a client when a freelancer submits manual hours.

Upwork must always be paid by the client before Upwork passes that money (minus Upwork's fees) to you. Any payment scheme that takes Upwork out of that loop is a violation of Upwork's terms of service.

I have already charged him an amount upfront for the project, I am not concerned about the payment for now ...

I am well aware of the terms will, thanks for mentionning though ...
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "we will not be doing any payments untill the whole project is complete"

???

What on Earth are you talking about?

Whoever heard of such a thing?

You should be getting paid at least weekly, if not more frequently.

Do you think the team manager for the Broncos waits to get paid until his team wins the Super Bowl? Do you think the manager of that restaurant near your home waits until the mission of the restaurant "is complete" before getting paid?

I am working with him for a while and he has already paid me the initial amount I asked before the project for my security, I just didn't wanted to have an inactive contract that will effect my JSS when I know there won't be any payments for 2 month...

Okay.

If you feel like you have been paid up front, then that makes more sense.

But I still think it is poor management to have people working on my project who are not getting paid regularly.

Actually there is no work from my side untill another department work (Civil work) is done with the project, which I will be looking after and providing any info needed and then I have to complete (Architectural Set) the project by their output.
So not much to bill really untill then.
petra_r
Community Member

Osama K wrote:
I just didn't wanted to have an inactive contract that will effect my JSS when I know there won't be any payments for 2 month...

If you received payment under the contract it doesn't matter if it sits there idle for months.

Contracts where oney has been paid do not hurt the JSS when they are open for a while or even a long while...

osama088
Community Member

I tried it 2-3 times and it worked now, I guess it works without an active contract ...

Thanks anyways everybody.

You could have had the client set up a contract, gotten your upfront payment, then had him fund the escrow account for the remainder. It would not have negatively impacted your JSS to have left the contract open for two months, as long as some money had been paid.

Christine A wrote:

Agreed. OP has paid attention to too many JSS rumors and ended up making things complicated. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths