Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hmmm

Highlighted
Community Guru
William H Member Since: Dec 2, 2013
1 of 41

Haven't dropped in in a while, summer and all, but just had two contracts closed without any feedback left by the clients in the last 10 minutes (clients closed the contracts). I am thinking this is a bug, given that one of the two clients is currently on vacation and not responding to their emails...Mods?

Highlighted
Community Guru
2 of 41

And now another closed 1 minute ago. Is upwork cleaning house without speaking with contractors/clients? 2/3 that were just closed are in Europe, and it's like 3-4 in the morning over there right now...

Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 41

Ok, as per Upwork help desk, after 76 days inactive contracts will be automatically closed. I guess today is first day of such policy? Let's hope this doesn't cause undue stress for both clients and freelancers!

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 41

Hi William,

That's correct and it's a new process we have in place for fixed-price contracts. After 76 days of inactivity the client will receive a notification followed by another notification in 7 days. If no action is taken on the contract still, it will be closed.

If there are funds in Escrow, the freelancer will be notified after 90 days of inactivity and will have 7 days to request for funds to be released. Funds will auto release to freelancers if the client does not take action 14 days after the freelancer requests release of funds

I hope this information helps.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
5 of 41

Great point. I wonder if they took this into consideration. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jennifer S Member Since: Dec 16, 2014
6 of 41

I said nothing when Odesk/Elance/Upworks systematically made changes that in all ways benefitted them and made being a freelancer here unnecessarily more difficult. There has been metrics added that are mystically ambiguous at best and completely one-sided in general. Applications over a certain number are charged with a fee for more chances to apply to more jobs. Then for a fee to you, you will allow other freelancers an advantage to see my bid price. All to ‘benefit the platform’. None of these changes have affected me really, however they were noted, the path this is going.

Then today, the platform starts closing contracts with no feedback because it is deemed inactive and no longer viable I presume. This affects me and it bothers me that you are closing contracts with my clients without any notice/consent from me. Three months is not a long time to be inactive when a client drops hundreds of dollars on a series and takes some time off for the summer. I have had contracts inactive for longer and did more of the series or started another one. I shouldn't have to explain this, it was I thought, my contract to work. As long as I do not get such horrible feedback that I am a disgrace to the platform, which doesn't seem to be the case, or have violations, why would my contracts be meddled with? You get your ten percent for the platform, that, let's be honest, is buggy too much of the time. (There are no discounts for times that I cannot work because of failed patches and maintenance.)You are a platform, not my supervisor to look over my shoulder and cancel contracts at whim. Just wow.

And of course ‘you’ is directly entirely to Odesk/Elance/Upworks and not to a particular moderator. I don’t come on here often, but wow guys…you went a bit too far this time and I had to say something. Stop meddling with things and let me make US some money.

Highlighted
Joeric A Member Since: Nov 12, 2014
7 of 41

Things are getting weird lately. Had same experience as well.  3 contracts were ended in less than 3 hours in same day.

I'm hoping that this will not impact JSS calculation and our client's relationship.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
8 of 41

Valeria

My patience is stretched to the extreme at this stage. Why is this in the freelancer section as a response to someone's concern? Why has there not been an announcement in the announcement section?? Do you even know that the announcement section exists? Why do we keep getting things dumped on top of use without any notification at all? What is wrong wiith this place?

As usual, it's a half-thought-out response to a real problem. Yes, something needed to be done about idle contracts. But what about ones that are idle by consent, and neither client or freelancer want them closed?

Why are people on here treated with such contempt, that they can't even be properly notified of significant changes?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
9 of 41

William, could you please change the title of this thread to something more eye-catching?

I think it is really important that people see and read this.

I cannot believe they just did that. And without any notification.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
10 of 41

I think this may be the end for most of us. I always suspected that Upitself would prioritise the elancers, and I think that the majority of longer-term workers with multiple contracts are going to be badly affected by this.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS