Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hmmm

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
11 of 43

William, could you please change the title of this thread to something more eye-catching?

I think it is really important that people see and read this.

I cannot believe they just did that. And without any notification.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
12 of 43

I think this may be the end for most of us. I always suspected that Upitself would prioritise the elancers, and I think that the majority of longer-term workers with multiple contracts are going to be badly affected by this.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
13 of 43

"I always suspected that **edited for Community Guidelines** would prioritise the elancers"

As an Elancer, and looking at all the features I'm used to that are missing or broken here, I don't feel very prioritised. I feel like I've just traded in a BMW for a Lada, then been hit with a higher road tax bill.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mariam Fatima Z Member Since: Feb 24, 2015
14 of 43

My absent client suddenly resurfaced, as soon as the contract was closed, to ask for a refund. I'm so upset as he wasn't responding to my messages for 3 months and now here he is, wanting a refund through Upwork without communicating with me personally.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
15 of 43

Hi all,

Sorry for the repeat posts (I just posted this elsewhere), but I want to make sure this message is posted to all relevant threads today. Valeria and I have been working with our teams to gather the relevant information for posting a reply and an Announcement, as you'll seeehere

First, we apologize for not announcing this update earlier. As these contracts had been closed for a minimum of 3 months, and much more in most cases, we did not anticipate that these closures would cause such concern. This was a miss on our part and we will aim to do much better in announcing changes as they are closer to fruition.

Please review my Announcement post for more information on this process. Based on your feedback thus far, we are already working on ways to improve this flow, including triggering a notification to freelancers when clients are notified at the 76 day mark of an inactive project. We'll do our best to keep you notified of these and other developments.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
16 of 43

Garnor, 

thank you for your post, but there are certain things UpWork can't control. 

You guys closed one of my contracts today. My client had sent me a message a few months ago - his father was diagnosed with cancer. Now - I don't have a problem with client not communicating, I sent one polite message after a few weeks - the guy didn't respond. To be honest, I wasn't expecting any response from him, either. He funded the second milestone, I sent some stuff, he didn't respond. 

And that's the moment supermen from UpWork came to the rescue and closed the job. Now - should I ask for the release of funds? Something in the line of "Sorry, I know you're going through some rough times, but would you be so kind and release the funds and leave some nice feedback? BTW how's your dad?"

Is it possible for freelancers to "tag" a job when the client is unresponsive for, let's say, 90 days? And then UpWork investigates, and tries to contact the client? And, only then UpWork closes the job?

This way it will look like I complained and UpWork closed the job...in my name. 

...not to mention the loss of third milestone, quite possibly second milestone as well.

I was under the impression that UpWork is a platform connecting freelancers and clients. Looks like UpWork is interfering in all stages of freelancer's work here - from hiding applications to closing jobs.

*not happy*

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
17 of 43

Hi Sanja,

Sorry about the delayed response. If the money were funded in Escrow and you submitted the work through the system, the money will be released to you 14 days later even if the client takes no action.

If there is money in Escrow and the freelancer hasn't requested for it to be released, the freelancer will be notified and will have 7 days to ask for the funds and clients will have 14 days to be refunded or pay the freelancer. Funds will auto release to freelancers if the client does not take action 14 days after the freelancer requests release of funds. 

I have checked the job you may be referring to and it looks like all the money that were funded in Escrow was released to you. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
William H Member Since: Dec 2, 2013
18 of 43

Garnor,

The only thing most of us care about is the impact on Job Success. You specifically, personally, told us that closing many jobs without feedback will negatively affect our scores. Yet now your company has specifically done what you told us not to. If there is a negative impact, this is now your fault, not the fault of clients and/or freelancers, and as such you are responsible for repairing any damages caused.

Cheers,

William

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
19 of 43

William,

Sadly like everything else on Upwork they are not thinking of anyone but Upwork and possibly the clients. Upwork is sorely broken right now. I suggest to anyone else here that they start looking elsewhere. I have.

They messed up my profile with a remark of freelancer has hidden the feedback on one of my last jobs closed. There is no way for me to hide my feedback and it was not negative so why would I? But their response to my issue is it is not an immediate problem and will be fixed on a future update, but in the mean time I have a remark that looks like I was hiding feedback which new clients don't know why. How do you think that looks?

I doubt they really care how any of us feel or how it impacts any of us all the changes, and neglect to update us on any of the changes.

It just shows me more and more they don't care and want to rid Upwork of anyone who they don't want to be bothered with.

Highlighted
Community Leader
John T Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
20 of 43

"I doubt they really care how any of us feel or how it impacts any of us all the changes, and neglect to update us on any of the changes.

It just shows me more and more they don't care and want to rid Upwork of anyone who they don't want to be bothered with."

I think that's a given. This is a work marketplace, not a social club or a support group.

I don't mean to seem harsh or indifferent to people's woes, and I think there are any number of things that Upwork could, and should, do better. But if you're disappointed that the place is a business that's only interested in you for your monetary value, well, I think that's the feeling of shedding a useless delusion.

I don't think that makes Upwork useless, or bad, or a let down. I didn't expect any more of it.

I think it does a rather good job, as it happens. But that's because I don't expect it to be a nurturing best pal. Indeed, I think that would be too much to ask. It's a work marketplace. That's it.

This is what freelancing is. There are no retirement presents or people bringing cakes to the office on your birthday. There's no office. You don't have a job. You're a freelancer.

On a slight tangent, I notice people talk about "leaving" a lot. I don't get that. You're not under any exclusive contract here. You're a freelancer. You don't need to quit. Indeed, you can't. Because you're not employed here. You're a freelancer.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS