Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hmmm

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
31 of 43

Maybe they can install virtual benches around the site where clients and freelancers alike can sit and watch the world go by - each one in memory of a long-gone freelancer.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
32 of 43

@Ramon B wrote:

Incidentally, I am fairly sure I remember the moderators saying at one point to leave absent contracts open in case of damage to JS score.

Well...lately my impression was that lately moderators' advice was to contact absent clients and ask them to close the contract, and if the client was unresponsive, to close the contract(s) themselves. I read a few posts by freelancers who followed this advice by occasionally closing contracts so that they would blend in somewhat (with job history and JS).

However, I came across this advice in threads here and there, but obviously there was no more 'official' guidance in this regard.

-------------------------------------------------

I'm kinda wondering if this same mechanism will be applied to hourly contracts next?

Something I haven't read anywhere yet but wanted to throw in - I get that people are worried about their JC scores. However, I think since the displayed JS score is chosen from three different scores (6 months, 1 year, 2 years), the fact that a bunch of closed contracts is now being figured in might pull down a freelancer's 6 month score, but if the other two scores are good, one of them will kick in and there might actually be not so much of an impact (for now).

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
33 of 43

@Ramon B wrote:

Incidentally, I am fairly sure I remember the moderators saying at one point to leave absent contracts open in case of damage to JS score.

Certainly that was the widespread impression, lately modified to "Close contracts only as a last resort." Garnor must not have been in the room.

Best to all,

MM

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
34 of 43

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

@Ramon B wrote:

Certainly that was the widespread impression, lately modified to "Close contracts only as a last resort." Garnor must not have been in the room.

Best to all,

MM

This gives me another opportunity to post Jeff Chen's dissenting & confusing opinion on this matter (though Garnor claims that it's not different from what the mods have been telling us - until yesterday):

"Ending these (inactive) contracts quickly or requesting the client close the contract as soon as possible can prevent this situation."

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
35 of 43

Because obviously hassling and nagging at clients to close contracts as quickly as possible is great customer service, and guaranteed to give you a 5 star rating Cat Frustrated

Highlighted
Community Leader
John T Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
36 of 43

a) No one expects it to be a nurturing best pal; but neither did they expect it to turn into a self-obsessed backstabbing traitor.

I kind of do, though, that's my point.

People seem to think I'm speaking in support of Upwork in my post back there. I'm really not.

If you take a step back and look at what it is, by design: it's a global marketplace that atomises and disempowers workers, undermines minumum wage rules, makes unionisation somewhere between impossible and useless, and stacks the deck entirely in favour of the clients. That's not some new flaw, that's what it is at heart.

All I was driving at really, is that I think everyone might as well get from it what they can, but be realistic about how it's going to be. Which is: pretty harsh and challenging, and a bit of a rip-off fees-wise. I don't see that changing unless a significant competitor emerges and starts to take business away from them with a more worker-friendly model. Which, you know, might never happen.

Highlighted
Community Leader
John T Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
37 of 43

Thinking more about that, probably its greatest vulnerbility to a competitor is that it's wildly over-designed and under-engineered, and someone or a group of someones in the organisation is addicted to the notion that you can automate away all the complex decisions that go into hiring. It's a superficially appealing idea, but I'm pretty sure it's not really possible. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Brian E Member Since: Jul 21, 2015
38 of 43

@Valeria

This is a great feature but can I ask what the timelines were based on?

• 76 days of inactivity and the client is notified
  • Client then has 7 days to respond (83 Days)
  • Another 7 days which are not explained what these are as the client already failed to answer within the 7 days (90 Days)
  • Contractor requests the funds released
  • Client then gets another 14 days to responds(105-112 Days)

What happens if the client responds on day 112 of this situation? Am I forced to continue the project? Does he get his money back cause I can't take additional time out my schedule and lose money based on his egregious misbehavior in business? 

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
39 of 43

Hi Brian,

The process is based on Escrow terms and to ensure compliance with them. If there is no money in Escrow and the contract is inactive, it should be closed after 90 days. We send two notifications to the client before that day.

If there are funds in Escrow, the process for the release of those funds is initiated after 90 days of inactivity. If the client requests for the money to be refunded to them on 112th day, the freelancer will still have an option to dispute the refund as usual.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Brian E Member Since: Jul 21, 2015
40 of 43

With all due respect what's the point of even telling us about this program then as you just stated that the contract could stay open up to 112 and then beyond if a client decides to dispute on the 112th. I'm looking more for facts, guarantees and timelines. 

Kind of like when a client ask to have project done on wednesday and I provide the work on wednesday. Not Saturday 2 weeks after and the drag on the project for another 4 months. Also, I made a separate post directly dealing with custom contracts that are created in addition to the terms of Upwork.

My contracts explicitly lay restrictions on project abandonment and mission creep. If the client explicitly agrees to that contract before the project begins will odesk then interfere at a later date encroaching on a separate legal agreement? These are serious matters. Some of us were bringing thousands of dollars.

We then got publicly bullied and legally threatened last week in regards to the elance platform closing and a lot of our clients not wanting to come here. While I understand the most discussed topic on this forum have been when you raised your minimum rates to $3.33 and a bunch a people found it horrendous that they couldn't pay $1.30 anymore to a person nearly everyone who is trainsitioned and planned to stay here more than a month make exponentially more than some going rates here.

I've went through +30 pages of forum posts here and 80% is accounts suspended, site not working, clients running off and money not being paid. Every post I've personally read from an Upwork employee concerning a situation has also been factually wrong.

Most notably one where we we're being told how the profile completion works and it was all false. Now a declaration of Upwork's contract closing terms is not terms at all. If they were terms then they're wouldn't be unexplained blackout dates, no consequence for breach of the terms and an additional allowance for an extension time past the maximum date of those terms.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS