cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holding so much Hourly Work is Selfish.

Ace Contributor
Elmar Rhex G Member Since: Jul 18, 2015
1 of 79

Basically some of the Veteran freelance are kept on Farming hourly work although they already have so much in list, this is a nice strategy in securing income but too selfish for those freelance with no work and newbies. Hourly job count should be limit into a small number.

Update

I use the word selfish but I  do want to insult any freelance. This are just my insights and I am not looking for any fights. 

For those who misunderstand my statement. sorry for that I used to suck at this. Smiley Happy

I am refering to getting so many Pending Hourly Job , but still some freelance are kept on applying.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 79

Elmar, if a contractor has worked many hours, that does not mean they are farming.

If a contractor regularly works many hours in a week, those hours can really add up.

With regards to being selfish: Anything a contractor can do to secure a job that benefits him and his client, and takes opportunity away from you.... That is a good thing.

Get on board with the program. We not rationing out rice at a refugee camp here. This is a vibrant free market system.

Ace Contributor
3 of 79

I updated my post.

Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
4 of 79

The 'veteran' freelancers have all these hours because they are great at what they do so the client is glad to have them. This means they are experience in their field, honest, and are great representatives of Upwork. (I could go on and on about how wonderful they are and why they deserve to have all these hours to support themselves and their families, but I'm afraid they'd think I'm su*king up to them. lol.) You will most likely get to their level in hours too eventually, so you're probably better off to ask their advice rather than throw an insult at them. 

Like I said in another post, careful what you say about people because those same people you call selfish might have needed your services and might have paid very well... but fat chance of that now right? 

Ace Contributor
5 of 79

I updated my post. Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
6 of 79

The reward for good work is more work.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 79

Life is not fair. Welcome to the rock.

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
8 of 79

"this is a nice strategy in securing income but too selfish for those freelance with no work and newbies."

Guess why I freelance? Yep, to secure income. Most of you are all lovely people and stuff, but you're my competitors. Every job another writer gets means one less that can make money for me, and making money for me is what my freelancing is all about.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Leader
Sadan M Member Since: Sep 3, 2010
9 of 79

Elmar,

Can you explain how can you hold on to hourly work if you cannot complete it or if you can complete it than how are you holding on to hourly work ?

Keep in mind that the clients are not your friends or family that they will keep on waiting for the deliverables till you get time to complete the work. I am also a developer like you (Java/Android/Angular JS and Ruby on Rails ) with 8000 upwork hours and I can assure you from my experience here that there is no way you can reach this number if you hold on to hourly work. Always remember that good skills will get you more work. In the past 3 months I have applied on just 5 job posts and got hired on 2 of them. The reason why I have not applied to any more jobs because I am having enough work to keep me busy for the entire week.

Also the strategy of holding on to work is most likely going to get you low ratings which will affect your JS and it will get very difficult for you to get any contract in future.

Ace Contributor
10 of 79

I updated the thread, I am not referring to the HOURS COUNT its my mistake , I am refering to the freelance with so many pending hourly job but still kept on applying.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS