Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holding so much Hourly Work is Selfish.

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
21 of 79

What a silly post OP. Even your "updated" post is insulting. Many of us started at the bottom. You know how many clients didn't want to give me a chance because they couldn't believe that I'm a native English speaker due to my location and colour of skin? And do you know how tough it was to raise my rates to a decent level because of those same reasons?

I am one of those "selfish" freelancers you are referring to - I have many hourly contracts and I plan to get more as long as I get higher-paid work and they fit in with my schedule. I do not care if this takes work away from other freelancers because I've worked hard to stand out as much as I can.

This is not to say that I've accepted every job offer I've gotten - many times I suggest other freelancers when I don't think that the job and I are perfectly suited to each other.

The bottom line is: we're here to make money, not friends!

P.S. "Hourly job count should be limit into a small number." - please refrain from sharing ridiculous suggestions that could give Upwork ideas.

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
22 of 79

"The bottom line is: we're here to make money, not friends!"

Right, I'll cancel your invite to my 'Elance is dead, long live Upwork' party, if you're going to be that way!

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
iaabraham
Community Guru
23 of 79
That's fine Scott, I'll just sit alone at home and cry :'(
screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
24 of 79

thanks for my Monday laugh Scott! Woman LOL

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
25 of 79

lol I'm probably one of those farmers too. I like to have a month of booked work, so I can relax about where my paycheck is coming from. Makes sense to book more work when you're working so you have no downtime...

I mean, like duh

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
26 of 79

re: "I updated the thread, I am not referring to the HOURS COUNT its my mistake , I am refering to the freelance with so many pending hourly job but still kept on applying."

Elmar,

Thanks for clarifying your thoughts somewhat.

I think it would be best to really separate the concept of farming from the topic of contractors working too many hours.

Contractors who are farming out hours are clearly in grave violation of Upworks' most sacred policies. There is a big difference between hiring contractors to help with a project (which is fine as long as you are clear with your client about what is going on), and accumulating large numbers of hours because you somehow farm out work to other contractors. Obviously everybody here would agree with you that this is something which should never be done on Upwork.

A SEPARATE topic is whether or not there is a problem with contractors who are doing a lot of work already, and continue to apply for jobs. Yes, that happens. You have a point here, although the way your expressed your concern about this confused many of us.

But this issue is really about the quality of work a contractor provides to his clients, and is not about other contractors having difficulty getting work.

m_njari
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
27 of 79

Preston wrote:

Elmar,

Thanks for clarifying your thoughts somewhat... A SEPARATE topic is whether or not there is a problem with contractors who are doing a lot of work already, and continue to apply for jobs. Yes, that happens. You have a point here, although the way you expressed your concern about this confused many of us.

I think, Preston, your empathy for Elmar is getting you a little mixed up now. Is there really anything wrong with a contractor handling a lot of work at once? In my view, a contractor stops applying for jobs when he/she deems the workload held challenging enough. So as long as one is applying, it means he/she has capacity to handle it - in his/her view. And the only other person whose view is important in this regard is the potential client.

I'm not much of an hourly job person, but I know if I were, I'd be doing more than just handling a big workload whenever available. I'd actually be strategizing so that if I know I've got a contract ending this week, I'm already sending out applications for jobs to begin the following week. And someone like Elmar will be wondering why I'm applying for jobs when I've got other contracts going on. Yet I'm working the market fair and square.

deadlydragon00
Ace Contributor
Elmar Rhex G Member Since: Jul 18, 2015
28 of 79

Isabelle , you are beautiful

The thread has nothing to do with discrimination Smiley Happy , it is about the ongoing culture of freelancer. BTW nice suggestion.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
29 of 79

When debating with females, tell them they are beautiful and then talk about discrimination. That's the ticket. 

iaabraham
Community Guru
30 of 79
I just saw Elmar's response to me now and I actually cringed.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS