Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hour rate

ferwana-maryam
Maryam F Member Since: Mar 7, 2016
1 of 7

Hi all, 

I wanna change my hour rate from 10 to 15, as I have worked a lot on Upwork and get five stars also my job success is 100%. I wanna ask if it's ok to do that while I have contract with 10 hr? or this will affect badly on my client relation with me?

Thx

Maryam

three-eleven
Community Guru
Mike Y Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
2 of 7

It is okay and it has nothing to do with current client jobs and relations, the only thing is to stick to rate, although you have 10$ you have accepted to work at 4.5$ - it is a more than 2x drop, so future clients may and will probably exploit that during new jobs interviews, you should avoid doing that.

"Mentally melting down hear the sound of the same old sound going round" Stuck Mojo
yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 7

Maryam, just so you know, you can increase your rate but it only applies to new jobs, not jobs in progress. If you want the new rate applied to jobs in progress, you will have to ask the client to change the rate, but that would not be good customer relations. And I wouldn't worry about the job you did for $4.5/hr because you only worked on it for 3 hours.

Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 7

@John K wrote:

I wouldn't worry about the job you did for $4.5/hr because you only worked on it for 3 hours.

........... so far, it is ongoing.

I *would* be concerned about the impression it gives when a client looks at my profile and sees that I have upped my rate to more than 3 times what I just very recently accepted a contract at....

Generally the way to up one's rate is in increments, then get a few jobs at the new rate, then up it again, a few at the new rate ... etc.

three-eleven
Community Guru
Mike Y Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
5 of 7

@Petra R wrote:

........... so far, it is ongoing.

I *would* be concerned about the impression it gives when a client looks at my profile and sees that I have upped my rate to more than 3 times what I just very recently accepted a contract at....

Generally the way to up one's rate is in increments, then get a few jobs at the new rate, then up it again, a few at the new rate ... etc.

yes, i did have couple of clients that were mentioning and trying to negotiate rates, seeing i had lower before. It wasn't xN times, but it still attracts attention

"Mentally melting down hear the sound of the same old sound going round" Stuck Mojo
yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 7

Petra R wrote:

Understood, because just now I noticed the $4.25 job started this month, which is odd, since a prior job, also ongoing, was at $10/hr for 230 hours, so I naively assumed clients would accept that as her baseline rate. Only the freelancer knows why she agreed to $4.50/hr, but I concede it's a bit more awkward going from $4.50 to $15 as opposed to $10 to $15.

Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 7

Hi Maryam,

I can confirm an increase to your profile rate won't automatically affect your current contract and the rate you agreed on with your client.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS