🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Hourly Jobs
Page options
seyumd
Community Member

Hourly Jobs

Most of the time I use my phone for any activity including Upwork. I do have the desktop App with time tracker. So if I got hourly job how I'm gonna be sure the working hours are counting when I am still using my phone? Does Upwork track hours worked without the need for me to check it or have time tracker?
7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

Seyum D wrote:
Most of the time I use my phone for any activity including Upwork. I do have the desktop App with time tracker. So if I got hourly job how I'm gonna be sure the working hours are counting when I am still using my phone? Does Upwork track hours worked without the need for me to check it or have time tracker?

You can't track time on the phone.

Hourly jobs don't lend themselves for work done on a phone or anything other than a computer (desktop or laptop)

seyumd
Community Member

So that means when I am working hourly jobs I have to use desktop/laptop?

And if I am using laptop do I have to turn on the time tracer or the app? Or just me being on laptop use makes it count?
petra_r
Community Member

Seyum D wrote:
So that means when I am working hourly jobs I have to use desktop/laptop?

Yes.

Seyum D wrote:
And if I am using laptop do I have to turn on the time tracer or the app? 

Yes, obviously... Otherwise, how would Upwork know what and when to track?

Seyum D wrote:
Or just me being on laptop use makes it count?

I think you want to familiarize yourself with the tracker and how it works before you accept any hourly contracts...

prestonhunter
Community Member

Seyum:

phone: manually logged time

desktop computer: Upwork time-tracker application 

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Seyum,

You have to manually invoke  the TimeTracker on your computer/laptop each time you want to log work time on a project. (If possible, DO NOT add manual time, even if the client "allows" it, as the client has no responsibility whatsoever within Upwork’s rules and procedures to ever pay you for any manual hours you log.)

If you have to be on the phone with an hourly client you can use your computer/laptop to take notes if you are not otherwise using your laptop during the call to enter information in a worksheet or other activity related to the project.

One quirk of TimeTracker is that it records time in 10 minute increments so it's best to invoke it one the hour or each 10 minutes after that (e.g. 10:00, 10:10, 10:20) and stopping on or slightly before a following 10 minute segment.

This thread covers some of these issues:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/TIME-TRACKING-NOT-SYNCHRONIZED/m-p/407763

jaybopp82
Community Member

Isn't it possible to download software to your PC that shows what is being done on your phone?  A mirroring software, so to speak.

That's what I would do in this situation.  It at least would show in the tracker screenshots that you are working, on your cell phone, on the assigned task.

Not sure how this would turn out in the event of a dispute since keyboard and mouse clicks would be down - but it's a suggestion I guess 🙂

Jason B wrote:

Isn't it possible to download software to your PC that shows what is being done on your phone?  A mirroring software, so to speak.

That's what I would do in this situation.  I

The tracker only tracks time when there are keyboard and mouse activity- 

It is possible (but beyond awkward) to use a remote desktop software but I would stay well clear of that because that is also used by scammers and I'd likely not risk it.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths