cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hourly Payment Project

innovatusc
Ace Contributor

Hello,

I have just completed an hourly payment project. The project was completed on May 12th (Thursday). The payment for the project, as on date, shows 'in review'. Today, I requested the client to approve payment for the project and the client said 'you were paid through Upwork last week' and sent a copy of the invoice for reference. Invoice is dated May 15th. My question is this: if the payment was approved, should'nt it have been reflecting under 'pending' instead of 'in review'. What should I advise the client? 

13 REPLIES 13
vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Prashant,

Please check this Help article for more information about the billing cycle on Hourly contracts.

Untitled

re: "What should I advise the client?"

Leave the client alone. Just wait for your money.

Hello Preston,

I absolutely have no qualms about waiting for the money but - please see my earlier message - 15 days is a bit too long don't you think, unless I am making a greivous mistake in calculating the number of days it takes to be paid. Mind you, I have discounted the LFT time which is usually between 3-4 days. If added, the total number of days would be 19 not accounting for any federal holidays in the U.S.

What I'll do is schedule flat rate stuff for the beginning of the week and do my hourly stuff on the weekend or late in the week. This way, it doesn't feel like it's so long to wait for money.

@Prashant R wrote:

Hello Preston,

I absolutely have no qualms about waiting for the money but - please see my earlier message - 15 days is a bit too long don't you think, unless I am making a greivous mistake in calculating the number of days it takes to be paid. Mind you, I have discounted the LFT time which is usually between 3-4 days. If added, the total number of days would be 19 not accounting for any federal holidays in the U.S.

I don't think it's a bit too long. I think that the availability of certain outlets that pay very quickly have skewed the perception of what is normal.It is not at all unusual for a regular job to pay two weeks behind--when I was teaching at the college level I got paid once a month, a full month behind.

And, many large companies that use outside contractors have a standard 30-45 day turnaround time. 

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for the heads up and pointing me to the hourly project payment information. As I understand: I complete a project say on Wednesday of a week, client gets invoiced on Monday of the following week and has a review period until Friday of that week. My question is this: even if the client has reviewed the project upon submission and has approved payment once invoiced, why would the payment still be held in review and released on Wednesday of the week after the payment was approved? To put in in perspective: job completed on thursday, client invoiced monday - a TAT of 4 days including Sunday. Client approves payment on Monday per invoice - and this is well within, and before the review period ends, and might I also add the client has marked this project as complete - so that translates into another waiting period of 5 days, i.e until Friday after which the payment gets into the standard security hold period. This means, for hourly projects that are for a couple of hours, if started say on Monday and completed Tuesday for example, the total time for payment to be available is 15 days? Please correct me if I am wrong.

There was talk nearly a year ago that there might be a review of the security periods to bring it in line similar to what Elance had. I'm guessing this never went any further as people at Upwork were too busy planning and writing FAQ's on the VAT and fee increases.

I think that if we're forced to give up more of our money in fees, we should be able to access our money quicker.

@Shane B wrote:

There was talk nearly a year ago that there might be a review of the security periods to bring it in line similar to what Elance had. I'm guessing this never went any further as people at Upwork were too busy planning and writing FAQ's on the VAT and fee increases.

I think that if we're forced to give up more of our money in fees, we should be able to access our money quicker.

Actually, quite a few freelancers have reported here that they've been included in testing of varying time periods for release of funds. The most recent i recall seeing was just a few weeks ago, so I assume that's still being explored. 

That's encouraging news. Thanks, I had missed that 🙂

Greetings to everyone!

So I've got my first hourly job. First week's work was done and I was notified that it's available for review on the 15th of May, Sunday. My client told me that he already approve the time log yesterday (18th of May). I thought it would appear on the "Pending" tab, but it's still on the "In Review" tab. I have chat with an agent in the Help and Support already and he told me that it would be on hold for security purposes so it's normal. But after reading some related articles, I was kind of in doubt. When I point the cursor on the question mark on the "Pending" tab, it says that hourly payments that were approved by clients should appear there for security purposes.

My concern is, is there something that I need to worry about? Or is this normal? Again, this is my first hourly job so I'm not familiar with its functions.

Thank you! Smiley Happy

Nothing to worry about, it's normal. 

It will be in Pending tab (for 5 days) starting Saturday and become Available for withdrawal on Wednesday. 

Hi Melissa,

You can relax and keep delivering great work. Please check the Help article I shared with the OP on the first page of this thread.

Untitled

Thank you.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS