🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Hourly client is not responding
Page options
775628ad
Community Member

Hourly client is not responding

Hello Expert people,

My hourly client is not responding. I worked with him for 200 hours in 3 months. He is a very good man, professional and communication were perfect. He was happy with my work and payments are clear too. But suddenly he stopped communicating. there was no work for the past 2 months. Also, he did not end the contract. Does it negative affect my job success score for inactivity? and should I end the contract now? I have messaged him several times. but no reply. Would you guys please help me out that what should I do now?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Regarding JSS:

There are TONS of threads discussing JSS generally, and how having no feedback when a contract is closed affects JSS.

Based on observations of my own account, and based on what others have been saying in the Forum... I believe that because you have been paid for this contract... you can safely close it without having it affect your JSS negatively. You could probably leave it open for a while, also without any negative impact on JSS.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

Rimon Kumar:

Clients are not obligated to respond to freelancers.

If you have completed all of the assignments you have been given, then you may stop now.

If you have work you have been requested to do, which is not yet done, then continue working on it.

Think about it this way:

Have you ever gone to a restaurant to eat?

And you liked it a lot?

And you went back the next week?

But the week after that... you DID NOT GO to that restaurant?

Did a waiter or chef from the restaurant come to your house and drag you to the restaurant? Or call you and ask where you were? No.

You were not required to continue eating at that restaurant.

Clients are not required to continue using your services.

You are right, but I think he is more concerned for his JSS. Rimon, Upwork will dock your JSS if no money is being payed over a period of time. I know because I was in a similar situation but my client let me know they were going to be away for awhile. My JSS dropped after a couple of weeks with no hours under that contract I think. I politely asked the client to close the contract and she did with no problem. We simply restarted a new contract when she came back. My JSS score went back to 100%. I'd ask first to close the contract. If the client does not respond after a while go ahead and close it but leave a message you'd be happy to restart a new one once they are ready. 

Richard R wrote:

You are right, but I think he is more concerned for his JSS. Rimon, Upwork will dock your JSS if no money is being payed over a period of time.

No. They will not.

Provided money was originally paid at some point, it has no effect on the JSS in any way, shape, or form, at all, let alone after 2 weeks.

There are numerous reasons as to why they might be unable or unwilling to communicate and/or send you more work.

As Preston says - they don't owe you anything. It's all part of freelancing. 

If they are reading their emails then they will already know you are messaging them; sending more is pointless. Move on. If the client comes back at some point in the future, that's a bonus. 

Regarding JSS:

There are TONS of threads discussing JSS generally, and how having no feedback when a contract is closed affects JSS.

Based on observations of my own account, and based on what others have been saying in the Forum... I believe that because you have been paid for this contract... you can safely close it without having it affect your JSS negatively. You could probably leave it open for a while, also without any negative impact on JSS.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths