🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Hourly contract
Page options
uhuns-vic
Community Member

Hourly contract

Hello everyone, please I need help.

I recently got my first hourly job with a client at 30/hr.

I have completed over 9 hours of work and made use of manual time once for 1 hr, but I stopped after the client asked me to use only upwork Time tracking app.

Now, I have submitted the first part of the project following all the client instructions. But the client rejected it and wants to end the project. The client also wants to pay only $100 out of the total amount.

I tried offering to redo the project and the client hasn't responded since then.

What do I do? I'm confused as I am still very new to Upwork and freelancing.

Thank you.
13 REPLIES 13
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Vicky,

When you`re working on hourly contracts you will need to track your time with our Desktop app so that your clients are billed every Monday for the time worked in the previous week.
To learn more about how you`re protected under our hourly payment protection, check out this Help Article. I would like to clarify that manual hours are not protected under our hourly payment protection. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello Goran, thank you for your response.

I am already tracking time with the upwork desktop app. That is not the issue in question.

The issue is that the client wants to pay only $100 out of $295 and also wants to end the contract despite following the instructions given and despite spending over 9 hours on the job?

What do I do?

Vicky:

You made some mistakes.

That is OKAY!

It is NORMAL for a person to make mistakes when they are trying something new.

This is your first time using Upwork.

If the client wants to pay you $100, then you should thank the client and tell her you that you will accept that offer, on the condition that she help you out by providing a brief explanation about why you she is paying $100 instead of $295.

After that, we can regroup and discuss the matter in more detail here in this thread.

Preston H wrote:

If the client wants to pay you $100, then you should thank the client and tell her you that you will accept that offer.

Why should she give back $ 200 worth of properly tracked time AND thank the client for it?

re: "Why should she give back $ 200 worth of properly tracked time AND thank the client for it?"

She should refund money as requested and thank the client because she wants to succeed and earn money on this platform.

Right now, we have no idea what is going on. This is her first time. What did she do wrong? It could be anything. If we can gather useful information, that will be more valuable than anything else.

If we end up learning that she is in the wrong job niche, because she has no idea how to proofread veterinary briefs, that will be useful. If we end up learning that she simply picked the wrong client because this client tells her she is asking for the refund for no reason at all other than her desire to take advantage of a newbie, then that will be useful.

I believe that SOMETHING went very wrong, and it will be useful to find out what that is.

Preston H wrote:

Right now, we have no idea what is going on.

So despite not knowing what's going on you just decide she should give back the money.

If she wants to know what the client didn't like, she can just ask the client. 

Thank you Petra,

I already addressed all the issues the client raised on our chats. I properly answered all her concerns.
I further offered to redo the work but now she hasn't replied.

So now I don't even know where I stand with the project.

Thank you for your response Preston.

The issues the client raised are that;

1. The article is not what she wants.
Although I followed all her instructions. She said the article is too long whereas it was the required number of words of words that she asked for.

She also said the article is not in the form that she wants but it was specifically what she stated that I did.

2. She also complained about the hours spent. She said I spent over 9 hours on working on the blog post only.

The job is to review all the content on her website and also create a contents for the blog and newsletter.

Now she's saying I didn't do the other works and focused only on the blog post and this is not true as I worked on the others.

The screenshots from the time tracking app are there to prove the work I did.

Now she is saying that we are not a good fit because of the above issues. So she wants to pay only $100 dollars and end the project.

Hi Vicky,

I would recommend communicating further with your client about the work you`ve completed and the total hours you`ve worked. Please refer to the guide I`ve shared in my previous post to learn more about how you`re protected under our hourly protection. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Well Goran, I am trying to communicate with the client but she is not responding.

re: "I am trying to communicate with the client but she is not responding."

If you sent a message to the client, and you didn't hear back from her, then let it go.

Don't try to communicate with her again.

The ball is in her court.

If she asked for a refund, and you declined the request for a refund, and she does nothing else, then presumably you will receive all of the money and that will be the end of it.

Thank you Preston, but now, the client responded and she has threatened to report me to Upwork.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths