cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hourly job posting but hire at fixed price

Highlighted
Mir Sakhawat H Member Since: Dec 3, 2014
1 of 5

Now a days I am watching a common tendency of most of the clients that they post jobs for hourly contract but when they call for interview they offer fixed price job. It also fixed price jobs are offerd at the lowest cost. It makes the freelancers unsatisfied for oDesk freelance marketplace. We all community members should request to odesk so that they prevent this such cheating and make keep us on work flow. Even I am also facing this problems.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
2 of 5

Hi Shekhawat

I think you shoud not let clients dictate the project terms. If you are not satisfied with what the client is offering , then be cear about it and say no. I do not think odesk will interfere with the negotiaions between clients and freelancers. Clients will always want to offer you a lower price but you must learn to be firm about your terms because once you accept, it is up to you to deliver on them. Never accept any unfair terms.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
3 of 5

I've noticed them doing that too. I wish people would just be straightforward in their job description. Anyway, I usually withdraw my application if clients start getting unreasonable.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 5
Sakhawat, I am sorry you have experienced clients acting in a dishonorable way like this, but Aseem is right. This is something oDesk can not effectively prevent. It is up to us as contractors to be firm with clients and only accept reasonable contracts.

It is better for us to have freedom and take responsibility than for oDesk to meddle with EVERY aspect of our interactions with clients.

This means that it is possible for some clients to behave badly. But I believe this is a tiny minority. I do NOT agree that most clients will try to do bait and switch tactics or try to pay absolute minimum amounts. Most clients desire good value more than they desire rock bottom pricing.

Apparently you have encountered a number of clients plying similar tactics in your job area. But not all job types experience such tactics often. None of the clients I apply to do anything like this.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
5 of 5

Another thing to consider doing is flagging the ad:  It's in the wrong category.  Same is true for clients that post hourly Entry Level ads that have a description that clearly puts them into the Expert Level category.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS