🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Hourly job
Page options
tofomiyonwon
Community Member

Hourly job

I started an hourly job. About 2 weeks ago. I submitted it last year December but I didn't log in the time I spent. All I know is that it took me 2 weeks because it was a big job. How will I get paid manually?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I started an hourly job. About 2 weeks ago. I submitted it last year December but I didn't log in the time I spent. All I know is that it took me 2 weeks because it was a big job. How will I get paid manually?"

Toba:
Unfortunately, you made a lot of mistakes.

To be honest, getting paid for that particular job is far less important than learning how to use Upwork properly.

But we will help you try to do both.

You said you didn't log in the time.

Well, logging the time is how we get paid.

So that's a big deal.

As a freelancer, I DO NOT SUBMIT my hourly work.
I just run the desktop Upwork time-tracker.

And I get paid AUTOMATICALLY.

I don't do anything else.

The client doesn't do anything else.

I don't submit my time.

The client doesn't approve my work.

It is all automatic.

So, for future reference, what you need to do when you start working on a project is this:

- launch the Upwork desktop app

- navigate to the right contract

- click on the slider

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 1.56.01 PM.png

- Then do your work. The desktop app takes snapshots and keeps track of your time.

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 1.57.09 PM.png

- When you are done, click on the slider again to turn off time-tracking.

IF for some reason you can NOT log your time, then you should probably talk to us and get some advice. You aren't really ready for manual time yet.

But if you can't track your work using the desktop time-tracker, you will need to log your time manually. That means you won't qualify for Upwork Payment Protection. That is a whole other topic.

=====================

Now... what about getting paid for the work you did back in December?
First of all, understand that you are the freelancer. It is your responsibility to log your time properly. The client could close the contract right now and pay you nothing, and Upwork wouldn't do anything about it. Because the client has not broken any rules.

Let's assume your client is like MOST Upwork clients - and he is a good, honest person. He appreciates your work and wants to pay you for it. Here is what you do:

Write a VERY SHORT message to him. Something like this:

"Jeremiah:
Thank you again for letting me work on this project. I am very new to using Upwork, and I did not know that I was supposed to track my time. I worked for 3 hours on the project. My hourly rate is $10/hour. Can I ask you to use the client-side "Send bonus" tool to send $30 in order to pay for that time? Or, if you prefer, can I add 3 hours to the current work week using manual time?"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I started an hourly job. About 2 weeks ago. I submitted it last year December but I didn't log in the time I spent. All I know is that it took me 2 weeks because it was a big job. How will I get paid manually?"

Toba:
Unfortunately, you made a lot of mistakes.

To be honest, getting paid for that particular job is far less important than learning how to use Upwork properly.

But we will help you try to do both.

You said you didn't log in the time.

Well, logging the time is how we get paid.

So that's a big deal.

As a freelancer, I DO NOT SUBMIT my hourly work.
I just run the desktop Upwork time-tracker.

And I get paid AUTOMATICALLY.

I don't do anything else.

The client doesn't do anything else.

I don't submit my time.

The client doesn't approve my work.

It is all automatic.

So, for future reference, what you need to do when you start working on a project is this:

- launch the Upwork desktop app

- navigate to the right contract

- click on the slider

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 1.56.01 PM.png

- Then do your work. The desktop app takes snapshots and keeps track of your time.

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 1.57.09 PM.png

- When you are done, click on the slider again to turn off time-tracking.

IF for some reason you can NOT log your time, then you should probably talk to us and get some advice. You aren't really ready for manual time yet.

But if you can't track your work using the desktop time-tracker, you will need to log your time manually. That means you won't qualify for Upwork Payment Protection. That is a whole other topic.

=====================

Now... what about getting paid for the work you did back in December?
First of all, understand that you are the freelancer. It is your responsibility to log your time properly. The client could close the contract right now and pay you nothing, and Upwork wouldn't do anything about it. Because the client has not broken any rules.

Let's assume your client is like MOST Upwork clients - and he is a good, honest person. He appreciates your work and wants to pay you for it. Here is what you do:

Write a VERY SHORT message to him. Something like this:

"Jeremiah:
Thank you again for letting me work on this project. I am very new to using Upwork, and I did not know that I was supposed to track my time. I worked for 3 hours on the project. My hourly rate is $10/hour. Can I ask you to use the client-side "Send bonus" tool to send $30 in order to pay for that time? Or, if you prefer, can I add 3 hours to the current work week using manual time?"

Questions and Answers:
Q. How should I log time?

A. Using the desktop time-tracker

Q. Is it okay to log time manually?
A. Usually this is not a good idea. In certain circumstances it is okay.

Q. If I log time manually, can I log time for a previous week?

A. No.

Q. Is it okay to record my manual time at the end of the week?

A. No.

Q. When should I log my manual time?
A. Immediately after a work session.

Q. What if I work 2 hours manually in the morning, and I am planning on entering my time in the evening, but the client closes the contract before I have a chance to log my manual time. Will I get paid for those two hours?

A. No.

Alright. Thanks

You can tell the client you screwed up - royally - and ask if he would pay you via a bonus.  Don't count on it, though.

Can I log in for 80 hours manually?
The client’s limit is 40 hours/week and I worked on it for 2 weeks

Toba O wrote:
Can I log in for 80 hours manually?
The client’s limit is 40 hours/week and I worked on it for 2 weeks

But did you really work 80 hours? 

Just because the limit is 40 hours a week (that is the default) does not mean the client wants you to work 40 hours a week...

You'll REALLY need to discuss this with the client. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths