cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hourly projects. What's ethical?

sheikhn
Sheikh N Member Since: Feb 20, 2015
1 of 5

I work on hourly projects only where my clients pay me per hour. Now I got confused at some point. Months ago I made some design for a client (I sold him my hours and that design was made within those hours).

After some months I got another client and I’m using the same previous design for this new project with content modification. I’m stuck and got confused at ethical perspective. Can the community help me in understanding what should I do and why?

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 5

I'm not a designer but I know that when you got paid by the first client, that design belonged to him.  He paid you for the design by reimbursing you for the hours it took to create it.

Better come up with something totally new for the second client....

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
3 of 5

That original design is not yours to sell; it is owned by the client who paid you for it.

yowiedesign
Community Guru
Craig A Member Since: Jan 18, 2016
4 of 5

The first client paid you for a unique design, not for you to then sell that design to others.

The ethical (and legal) thing to do is not sell a design that someone else has bought the rights to.

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
5 of 5

I come up with certain techniques or ways of working, during the course of a project, that I will probably implement in another project. And maybe even a script* or something that I might use again. I think that kind of thing is ok, but I'd never use visual elements or important content from another client's project. That's just not cricket, especially for an hourly job.  

*Like a code script that automates something, not a script like a speaking script. Just so you know!

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS