Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hourly rate of $0.60...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
1 of 4

There is a job in my job feed where somebody (from the UK) is looking for a translator and apparently willing to pay for freelancers with the highest rates. I almost applied.

But first - like always -  I took a look a their posting and stats:

• $3.55/hr Avg Hourly Rate Paid
    6,366 Hours

Amazing, right? Even though I saw one just before this one where the average hourly rate was like $1.70 (over 2000 hours).

Anyway, looking at some of the feedback and hourly rates paid in the past year revealed this:

• Jul 2014 - Sep 2014
    105 hrs @ $0.60/hr
    Billed: $62.90
  • Jul 2014 - Jul 2014
    19 hrs @ $0.60/hr
    Billed: $11.60

And no, that wasn't even the same freelancer. The $3 minimum hourly rate is not being enforced. I know that it says you can't bid lower than that - but you can always agree a lower rate with your clients.

So it's all just lip service. I find it appalling. No work should ever be conducted for this kind of money on a platform like this.

Obviously, I didn't apply for the "expert level" job.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
2 of 4

If they had hired freelancers previously with lower rates they are allowed to hire them again at the same rate. They cannot hire someone they have not hired before at the lower rates.

Also the $3.00 rate does not apply to fixed rate. I see a lot of fixed rate jobs going around the minimum by offering fixed rate jobs with a per hour rate in the job description.

If you see one who is posting an hourly job at the lower then $3.00 it was suggested we flag their job as asking for free work.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
3 of 4

"If they had hired freelancers previously with lower rates they are allowed to hire them again at the same rate. They cannot hire someone they hired before at the lower rates."

Maybe it's the language barrier (I am German) but those 2 sentences seem to contradict each other.

Those were obliviously not fixed priced jobs - I was clearly talking about hourly jobs here.

And I will say again that it is absolutely not OK to pay so little.

I do know that they are allowed to do so - yet I find it unethical.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
4 of 4

@Ela K wrote:

"If they had hired freelancers previously with lower rates they are allowed to hire them again at the same rate. They cannot hire someone they hired before at the lower rates."

Maybe it's the language barrier (I am German) but those 2 sentences seem to contradict each other.

Those were obliviously not fixed priced jobs - I was clearly talking about hourly jobs here.

And I will say again that it is absolutely not OK to pay so little.

I do know that they are allowed to do so - yet I find it unethical.

Sorry not enough coffee. I fixed it in my post I meant They cannot hire someone they have not hired before at the lower rate.

Well I agree it is not ok, but previously on oDesk there were those who worked for these rates and those who hired for those rates. When the rate was set to $3.00 an hour in November they made the exception that if they had previously hired someone at that rate they could rehire at that rate.

Pre-Existing Relationships

We will continue to honor the hourly rates of contracts formed prior to this date, and clients and freelancers who have previously worked together at less than $3.00 per hour can form new contracts with no minimum requirement. Specifically:

All current contracts for less than $3/hour will be allowed to continue. For example:

• Stefan hired Ibrahim to a contract that began on July 6, 2013. This contract is not subject to the minimum rate requirement. Ibrahim can continue working at less than $3/hour, and any future changes to the contract’s hourly rate are not subject to the minimum rate requirement.

A client/client company that has ever hired a freelancer at less than $3/hour may re-hire that same freelancer at less than $3/hour. For example:

• David previously hired Jennifer at $2.50/hour before November 19, 2014. That contract has now ended, but David can seek to re-hire Jennifer at any time without being subject to the minimum rate requirement.

• Olga is a client with several teams set up in her oDesk account. Prior to November 19, 2014, she hired Andrey to an hourly contract within her “translation” team. Any hiring manager in any of Olga’s teams (not just in her “translation” team) can re-hire Andrey without the minimum rate requirement.

Pre-existing relationships must be with a specific freelancer. Pre-existing relationships between a client/client company and an agency are not considered. For example:

• Mark, who is a member of an agency on oDesk, was hired at $2.75 by a client company before November 19, 2014. After November 19, that client company can continue working with Mark at that rate, on both the existing contract and any new contracts. However, any new contract the company makes with another member of Mark’s agency is subject to the minimum rate requirement (unless the client has previously worked with that freelancer at less than $3/hour).

https://support.odesk.com/entries/23146573-FAQs-for-freelancers-who-worked-for-less-than-3-hr-before...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS