🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Hourly refund/dispute two weeks later questio...
Page options
ad2010
Community Member

Hourly refund/dispute two weeks later question

Hi All! I have a client that already approved hours weeks ago. I already got paid. But now is lying to upwork to try to get me to give them a refund. HERE IS THE CATCH/Q - I forgot to put in memos!! So I don't qualify for hourly protection but yet it has been a couple of weeks already. Am I in the clear if I refuse to refund any hours?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Am I in the clear if I refuse to refund any hours?"

Yes.

You are clear.

NEXT time: Record your memos!

But as for your current situation:

The client has FIVE DAYS after the end of the work week. That is the hourly review period. After five days have past, the client can no longer dispute your hourly work with Upwork. If the client had disputed the time segments within that five-day time period, Upwork would have removed those time segments from the time you get paid for due to the fact that there are no memos.

A client disputing time within the 5-day review period is a different process than a client clicking a button after that time period to request a refund.

You can say no to this refund request. It is a toothless action on the client's part. But no matter what, you must be polite and professional in all communications with the client.

Read more here:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062158-Dispute-an-Agency-or-Freelancer-s-Hours

:

"Keep in mind that timing is critical here — you must file any dispute during the five days after the billing period closes."

"I missed the deadline to file a dispute. What do I do?"

"Disputes must be filed by the Friday after the freelancer bills the hours. If you miss this window, you and your freelancer should work together to resolve any issues and discuss your freelancer submitting a refund. Still can’t resolve the issue and within 30 days of payment? Please contact customer support to learn about our mediation assistance."

[End quotes from Upwork's help page. Below is my opinion:]

So... what is happening NOW is Upwork would like you to "resolve any issues and discuss" the project.

You should be able to simply tell the client that at this time you are not offering a refund and that if he has further questions he should talk to Upwork Customer Support.

But... if you want to learn more about why this client wants a refund... if you think there is something to be gained by hearing more from him...

I recommend that you ask the client why he wants a refund. I believe that often it is not about the money. Often a client just wants to be heard.

I recommend that you TALK to the client. But MOSTLY LISTEN. Don't argue. Don't correct his mistakes. Don't say much at all. Don't spend too much time with this. Ask a question. Then when the client replies, don't just blurt out your "side" of the story. Tell the client that you will think about what he said and get back to him in a few days with a response. This is not a game. Really think about what the client said. Then ask another question. This way you can obtain greater insight into why the client is asking for a refund. In the end you SHOULD agree to give the client an appropriate refund, whatever that amount is, whether it be 10% or 5% or 2% or 0%, etc. Remember that it was inappropriate, unethical and unprofessional for this particular client to ask you for a refund. That knowledge should help you in deciding how much of a refund to give the client.

Of course, if the client has no reason at all for asking for a refund other than "I want money", then the client may be too embarrassed to respond at all. That happens a lot.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Am I in the clear if I refuse to refund any hours?"

Yes.

You are clear.

NEXT time: Record your memos!

But as for your current situation:

The client has FIVE DAYS after the end of the work week. That is the hourly review period. After five days have past, the client can no longer dispute your hourly work with Upwork. If the client had disputed the time segments within that five-day time period, Upwork would have removed those time segments from the time you get paid for due to the fact that there are no memos.

A client disputing time within the 5-day review period is a different process than a client clicking a button after that time period to request a refund.

You can say no to this refund request. It is a toothless action on the client's part. But no matter what, you must be polite and professional in all communications with the client.

Read more here:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062158-Dispute-an-Agency-or-Freelancer-s-Hours

:

"Keep in mind that timing is critical here — you must file any dispute during the five days after the billing period closes."

"I missed the deadline to file a dispute. What do I do?"

"Disputes must be filed by the Friday after the freelancer bills the hours. If you miss this window, you and your freelancer should work together to resolve any issues and discuss your freelancer submitting a refund. Still can’t resolve the issue and within 30 days of payment? Please contact customer support to learn about our mediation assistance."

[End quotes from Upwork's help page. Below is my opinion:]

So... what is happening NOW is Upwork would like you to "resolve any issues and discuss" the project.

You should be able to simply tell the client that at this time you are not offering a refund and that if he has further questions he should talk to Upwork Customer Support.

But... if you want to learn more about why this client wants a refund... if you think there is something to be gained by hearing more from him...

I recommend that you ask the client why he wants a refund. I believe that often it is not about the money. Often a client just wants to be heard.

I recommend that you TALK to the client. But MOSTLY LISTEN. Don't argue. Don't correct his mistakes. Don't say much at all. Don't spend too much time with this. Ask a question. Then when the client replies, don't just blurt out your "side" of the story. Tell the client that you will think about what he said and get back to him in a few days with a response. This is not a game. Really think about what the client said. Then ask another question. This way you can obtain greater insight into why the client is asking for a refund. In the end you SHOULD agree to give the client an appropriate refund, whatever that amount is, whether it be 10% or 5% or 2% or 0%, etc. Remember that it was inappropriate, unethical and unprofessional for this particular client to ask you for a refund. That knowledge should help you in deciding how much of a refund to give the client.

Of course, if the client has no reason at all for asking for a refund other than "I want money", then the client may be too embarrassed to respond at all. That happens a lot.

Thank you for this in-depth response! And really really good advice!
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members