cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hours did't count

Highlighted
Johnathan E Member Since: Jan 28, 2019
1 of 8

So I worked a total of 8 hours this weekend, from 10pm-2am CST (UTC-6) on both Friday and Saturday night/morning... but when I got my timelogs it didn't count most of them I didnt Saturday night. Did they get delete or will it be charged on next weeks log?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 8

Sounds like you made a mistake in how you used the Upwork desktop time-tracker application.

The timeframe you are talking about should be in last week's work diary.

Do you know what you did wrong, or do you need to talk to us to help you figure that out?

3 of 8

Hey Preston,

When I used the desktop tracker, I clicked at the beginning of my shift to start tracking and then at the end of my shift I clicked stop to end the tracking. Both times it registreted as if I worked 4 hours both time. 

Is there something I need to do differently? Or could it be something due to timezone?

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 8

This has nothing to do with timezone.

The desktop time-tracker is not a time-clock.

It records levels of user activity.

If there are periods of time during which your level of activity (typing, mouse-clicking) is recorded by judged by the program to be too low - to be essentially "non-activity," then the time blocks of low activity will not be recorded to the work diary.

What kind of work were you doing on that computer?

What is the maximum number of hours allowed per week on this contract?

When you click on the contract, and then click to view the work diary for last week, what do you see?

How much money do you see listed when you look at Upwork -> Reports -> Overview?

Highlighted
5 of 8

I do the work on my phone, so my computer didn't get much use at times. So I take it if I wasn't clicking anythign on my laptop, it didn't track anything? And I'm allowed 30 hours, so I didn't go over my hours

Highlighted
Community Guru
BEST ANSWER
6 of 8

re: "I do the work on my phone, so my computer didn't get much use at times. So I take it if I wasn't clicking anythign on my laptop, it didn't track anything?"

Yeah... That's the problem.

You thought it was a timeclock.

It is not a timeclock.

You thought that you "punch in" (start recording time) and then "punch out" (stop recording time).

But that is not how the tool works.

For the type of work you are doing, you need to use manual time, not the time-tracker.

You need to keep track of your start and stop times on paper, and then enter the time as manual time when you finish a shift.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
7 of 8

Thanks! Great to know for the future

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 8

Johnathan E wrote:

I do the work on my phone, so my computer didn't get much use at times. So I take it if I wasn't clicking anythign on my laptop, it didn't track anything? And I'm allowed 30 hours, so I didn't go over my hours

Time is only counted if you work on your computer, with adequate activity levels (mouseclicks and keyboard activity)

Segments without activity are not billed at all and segments with low activity are disputable and not protected.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS