cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hours for Fixed-price Jobs

kschafli
Kristen S Member Since: Mar 20, 2016
1 of 34

So, what I'm running into is that I have worked well over a hundred hours on fixed-price jobs but only one hour in hourly jobs. So my profile says that I've only worked one hour. Clients who require a minimum of 100 Upwork hours think I haven't met that requirement. If I record the hours of my fixed-price jobs on the time tracker app, will it add them to my profile even if I'm not paid hourly?

If not, this seems like a serious issue for me since many clients have a minimum Upwork hour requirement.

Thanks to anyone who can clarify this.

robinbd4u
Ace Contributor
Mohammad Deluar H Member Since: Nov 16, 2015
2 of 34

Kristen S wrote

So, what I'm running into is that I have worked well over a hundred hours on fixed-price jobs but only one hour in hourly jobs. So my profile says that I've only worked one hour.  

So it is clear that if you record hour from fixed price jobs then your profile hour will not increase. So do not record hour for fixed price jobs. 

kschafli
3 of 34

That's not clear to me because I haven't recorded hours for fixed-price jobs. I'm wondering if someone has and knows that they don't contribute to the hours displayed on our profiles.

I don't want to record hours for fixed-price jobs if they're not going to show up, especially because I don't know if they'll be sent to my client, which could be confusing since they're not paying me hourly.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
4 of 34

Kristen, recording hours for fixed-price jobs is for informational purposes only and has no effect on the hours worked that's displayed with your profile.

View solution in original post

loredana-b
Community Leader
Loredana B Member Since: Feb 26, 2016
5 of 34

There is no way to increase the number of hours worked except for working on hourly contracts.

BUT you can still apply to jobs that require 100h worked, and you can mention in the cover letter that you do have Upwork experience, but you mostly worked on fixed price contracts.

In fact, I think most clients choose that option because they hope they will get more experienced applicants, and I'm sure they have no idea that this system basically leaves out excellent freelancers that just happen to prefer fixed price jobs.

kschafli
6 of 34

This answers my question precisely. Thank you!

al_nikolov
Al N Member Since: May 17, 2016
7 of 34

...and I'd say, that's just misleading at the very least and very unfortunate, indeed.

Are the hiring people on Upwork confident that shall they put a minimum 1 Upwork hour to their requirements for the freelancers, they'd instantly kick out sheer numbers of decent contributors who happened to complene only Fixed-price contracts?

What are those hiring people who put minimum 500 Upwork hours even thinking about, just out of curiosity???

jmccpa
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
8 of 34

Upwork has been promising for at least a year to show at least the number of Fixed Price Jobs that show in our Proposals.

For those of us that do many Fixed Price jobs, I am convinced that this failure to display really hurts us.

I have just 46 hours worked but over 60-70 hours more in Fixed Price Jobs.  So, I still "Don't Qualify" for jobs posted seeking 100+ hours. I have mentioned my Fixed Price hours and total actual hours in my Proposals but they may never get read.

I respectfully ask for an honest answer when this shortfall will be remedied for the benefit of qualified Freelancers as well as for their potential clients.

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 34

Hi Joseph,

I understand your frustration. However, there is still work that the team needs to do in this area and we don't have an exact ETA. Rest assured that there are some changes coming with the way freelancer experience with different types of jobs is represented on their profiles and search.

Meanwhile, you can still apply for jobs that specify more hours than you have. Experienced freelancers with great profiles like yours often hired even if they don't meet all of the clients preferences.

~ Valeria
Upwork
jmccpa
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
10 of 34

Valeria,

Thank you. I will be patient for a while.

But it really is a big inequity and we have been asking for this for a long time.

Note earliest post on this thread.

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS