cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hours for Fixed-price Jobs

stroebech
Mikkel S Member Since: Dec 12, 2016
11 of 34

I have also worked a lot of hours on a fixed price jog. But i only have 5 hours of hourly paid job. Why do i often see the requirement for at least 100 working hours as a criteria in employers job offerings? That is a lot of work. What options do employers have to select hours worked? Is it in steps of 100 hours? 

Forgive me for saying but 100 hours is a lot of work when you take in account most freelance jobs.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
12 of 34

It is more than frustrating when we see the "team" working on something as useless as allowing clients to see whether or not we've read their messages* (hint: Worst. Idea. Ever.)

I use my own time-tracking software on my fixed rate jobs for my own purposes - I have worked well over a thousand hours between Upwork and Elance. Clients should be able to see the number of flat rate jobs we've worked - surely this does not involve rocket science ... does it?

*Sometimes I just wonder about Upwork's priorities with what needs fixing.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
13 of 34

Hi Mikkel and Virginia,

The team responsible for that particular feature is working on a solution that would give freelancers' experience with fixed-price and hourly jobs equal visibility. 

Please, note that we have multiple teams and they are responsible for different parts of the product. If new features are developed and introduced it doesn't mean that it takes time and resources away from other areas.

~ Valeria
Upwork
mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
14 of 34

Well, that's something.

justus14
Ace Contributor
Justus V Member Since: May 9, 2017
15 of 34

Hi Valeria,

why doesn't Upwork just 

1. take fixed price jobs income
2. divide it by e.g. half the hourly rate of the freelancer
3. publish both numbers as 
- hours worked on hourly pay
- hours (est.) worked on fixed price jobs*

and explain the little "*" by giving your formula. 
In my case that would  be e.g.
50 hours worked on hourly pay
ca. 300 hours worked on fixed price jobs.

Key would be an adjustment of the clients' search criterion "hours worked" to be applied to the sum of both.

What do you think?

Best

Justus

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
16 of 34

Thanks for your suggestion, Justus. At this point the team doesn't have any immediate plans to change the way hours worked are reflected on freelancers profiles, however. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
petrstary
Petr S Member Since: Sep 16, 2018
17 of 34

Hello Valeria,

I have just finished my first job here on Upwork, translation of 30000 words. It was a fixed price job and I was really excited about getting some 'Upwork hours' in and therefore having a better chance of getting more jobs. My question is, has there been any update on this? 

Thakns,

Petr

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
18 of 34

Hi Petr, 

Please know that only hours logged on hourly contract will reflect on the number of hours worked on your profile.

~ Avery
Upwork
btbroot
Al N Member Since: Sep 17, 2018
19 of 34

Well then, it's now back to the beginning, isn't it?

I wonder in which way you mean it's "Solved"? Doesn't look like it.

ismail_nakhuda
Ismail Irshad N Member Since: Nov 10, 2018
20 of 34

Valarie

Still waiting for this to be fixed. any timeframe?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS