Hours for Fixed-price Jobs

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
21 of 34

re: "Still waiting for this to be fixed. any timeframe?"

There is no "fix" coming.

This is not "broken."

Upwork has made it clear that hours will not be accumulated by fixed-price work.

This has been explained. Fixed-price contracts are paid on the basis of deliverables, not hours worked.

If this is an issue for a freelancer, then they may choose to:

- work on hourly contracts instead of fixed-price contracts

[or]

- work on other platforms, where their fixed-priced contracts count toward hours

piyushseem
Community Leader
Piush P Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
22 of 34

Hi Valeria,

Almost the same thing has been already discussed in the year of March, 2016 and upwork has considered my suggestion where they provided an overall earning-values on freelancer's profile. Still it was 50% relief and we all were waiting since... I hope upwork should take an serious decision on this topic as soon as possible as it has already been too old.

Please check my that post via below link:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Need-To-Improve-Part-3/td-p/166267

Thanks!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
23 of 34

Piush P wrote:

Almost the same thing has been already discussed in the year of March, 2016 and upwork has considered my suggestion

... and dismissed it. 

Whining about the same thing over and over again year in year out does not actually make anything happen.

piyushseem
Community Leader
Piush P Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
24 of 34

Petra R wrote:

... and dismissed it. 

Whining about the same thing over and over again year in year out does not actually make anything happen.

They did not dismiss it, I mean they considered our suggestions and provided its half solution as to display an overall earnings on freelancer's profile which was a great step by them.

I totally agree that afterward its remaining procedure went into files... but we can try to reopen this thing because it is the only way where we can hope rather than to give up.

mdsumonahmed
Sumon A Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
25 of 34

Hello,

I have some question about my new Fixed price job.

My client has hired me as fixed price job but wanted to track the time.  So, Will I be able to track the time and submit to my client? My Client will pay me as milestone against the hour as we discussed about my hourly rate. Is it possible?

Or is it possible to show him how many hours I worked in his fixed-price project?

I would be grateful if you please inform me about the query as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Sumon Ahmed

prestonhunter
Community Guru
26 of 34

Sumon:

Much of what you describe is possible.

It is possible to track time for fixed-price contracts.

Time Tracker -> Settings -> Advanced

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 12.44.52 PM.png

I have a phrase for situations in which a client wants to mix elements of the fixed-price and hourly contracts:

"ends badly for the freelancer"

prestonhunter
Community Guru
27 of 34

My basic philosophy is that hiring using a fixed-price contract is NOT the primary contract type that Upwork was created for. It is a privilege to use "fixed-price" contracts.

And if I let a client hire me using a fixed-price contract, then how many hours I spend working on the project and screenshots of my doing my work are none of the client's business.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
28 of 34

Preston H wrote:

My basic philosophy is that hiring using a fixed-price contract is NOT the primary contract type that Upwork was created for. It is a privilege to use "fixed-price" contracts.

You may or may not be right about this, but if you are, it's odd, given that the IRS sees hourly work as one signal that you may actually not be a freelancer at all but a misclassified employee.

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
29 of 34

Preston H wrote:

And if I let a client hire me using a fixed-price contract, then how many hours I spend working on the project and screenshots of my doing my work are none of the client's business.

It's a "privilege" to use fixed price contracts? It's not like the freelancer has any control over it; the clients are the ones who make the choice. It's obvious to me that the system is unfair to freelancers who mainly work on a fixed price basis because it makes them look way less experienced than they are, and it's unfair to clients who are misled into thinking that number of hours = better experience. It's definitely something that needs to be fixed. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
30 of 34

re: "It's not like the freelancer has any control over it; the clients are the ones who make the choice."

With the clients who want me to work for them, I am the one who makes the choice.

I straight-up tell clients whether I'll use fixed-price contracts or not. They can accept my decision, or work with someone else.

I often apply to jobs that are posted as fixed-price jobs, and tell clients either that I can only do the project using an hourly contract. Or if I let them use a fixed-price contract, I tell them what the milestones are and what the rates are for each milestone.

You have the same potential to make these decisions. No client can force you to work on a contract that you don't want to work on.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS