cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hours worked, balance and earnings, nothing makes sense.

david_mac
David M Member Since: Jun 26, 2017
1 of 7

I have been working for 4 weeks. On checking my account I am totally confused.

Overview

Work In Progress 0.00

In Review             140.00

Pending                88.67

Available              211.03

TOTAL                 439.70

This is not right and is missing about 100.00

So I look in Timesheet Details, set the dates for the entire time period

May 31 - Jun 4  137.67

Jun   5 - Jun 11 140.00

Jun 12 - Jun 18 116.67

Jun 19 - Jun 23 140

TOTAL 534.34

This is right.

So where is the missing 94.64?

If I look in Earnings buy Client I would expect to see 534.34, as this is just 1 client.  But I see 277.67

When I look at my Balance, I see 211.03

Is Upwork following the EU?  Make it so complicated that no-one will be able to follow along, or know whether the system is working?

This is a single client billing of over 500 so I should be seeing a 480.90 balance to me with 10% fees.  Why is this not happening?

Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 7

Hi David,

Please note that the 20% service fee and the VAT on Upwork services has been applied to the available and pending payments, which would account for the difference you're seeing. Please go to Reports > Overview and you'll be able to see these charges.

Untitled
david_mac
3 of 7

First, it states that a single client over $500 is only charged 10% service fee. Why doesn't that apply here when it is $534?

I am not VAT registered, so why am I paying VAT?

So a combination of all this means I earn $534 to be able to get paid $211, that's more than 50%, why would anyone think that was a good idea?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 7

Further to What Vladimir shared, the reduced fee 10% is not on the entire $ 500+ contract, only on the portion over $ 500.

The fee is 20% on contracts with any one client up to $ 500 billed.

The fee drops to 10% for subsequent billings with the same client.

So 20% on the first 500, 10% on the 34

You pay VAT on the service fee in the same way you pay VAT when you buy other things in shops etc....

of course you are not only getting 211, the 211 is what is already available for withdrawal, the rest is still in pending (will be available on Wednesday) and in review (available Wednesday next week)

Have you looked at the weekly billing cycle?

david_mac
5 of 7

Okay, the reduced service rate description didn't read like that but let's assume that what you say is true.

So I've earned $534

The service fee is (500 * 20%). + (34 * 10%). which comes to 103.40

Then I pay 20% VAT on this 103.40 which is another $20

So I need to pay $123.49

534 - 123 = 411

How are my rough calcs so far?  I realise that Balance is just what's available so that is only showing 211, with 228 in Progress and under review.

So I go down through my Reports......

Overview In Review and Pending are Gross figures, before service fee deductions and Balance must be Nett, after deductions?  

Timesheet is Gross and shows the correct amounts.

Time Analyse is Gross and shows the correct amounts.

Earnings By Client shows Gross earnings + deduction amount. Mine is currently showing 277.67 - 66.64 for the entire working period. This doesn't make much sense to me, I cannot see where these figures are coming from even with values in Review and Pending.

Lifetime Billing by Client should be the same, there has only been 1 client, 1 project so far, so why is this showing $394.34?  Why not $411?  I'm guessing this should be a gross value, but I don't get to 394.34 from any direction.

When I check the Weekly timesheet it matches the hours and Gross values expected.

Do Freelancers run their own spreadsheets next to Upwork to make sense of all this? Anyone got any good examples I could download to stop my brain exploding?

Thanks.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 7

Haha, no spreadsheets. I simply concentrate on what is in available and pending, because that is, essentially, what will be "my Money" this Wednesday and next Wednesday. I have never known the calculations to have been wrong, so I don't spend time messing with trying to tax my little brain with maths.......

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 7

@David M wrote:

Earnings By Client shows Gross earnings + deduction amount. Mine is currently showing 277.67 - 66.64 for the entire working period. This doesn't make much sense to me, I cannot see where these figures are coming from even with values in Review and Pending.

277.67 is the total for the available and pending payments, including the service and VAT fee. These represent your earnings and the funds in review are not included, since they aren't released yet and the hours they reflect are still in review.

Lifetime Billing by Client should be the same, there has only been 1 client, 1 project so far, so why is this showing $394.34?  Why not $411?  I'm guessing this should be a gross value, but I don't get to 394.34 from any direction.

394.34 includes the payment currently in review because your client has been billed for all three payments.

Anyone got any good examples I could download to stop my brain exploding?

Please check the pop-up guide on your Overview page, use the question mark icon above each of the payments and review the freelancer resources we shared here for more information about how payments are processed on Upwork. Different reports will display different values, according to their purpose, so feel free to follow up if you have any further questions about the reports you mentioned.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS