Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I validate the legitimacy of an employer

Highlighted
Juanique L Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
1 of 4

Hi All

I'm quite new to Upwork and slowly but surely getting into the swing of things.  I'm a freelance recruiter and have had a request from an employer to submit a proposal for an assignment.  After submitting my proposal I received a message on Upwork to register my details on a link which took me away from Upwork.  Being the cynic I am, I got worried that this may not be a legitimate employer and they are just phishing for my personal details.  Is their any way I can check this or verify the employers details?

Thank you

Juanique

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kamaludin M Member Since: Aug 22, 2015
2 of 4

If you want to check if the client is legitimate just go to the job posting page and check on the right-hand side if he hired freelancers before and if he has a verified payment method.

If he hired freelancers before and he has a verified payment method than he is legitimate but you should still be careful.

If he never hired anyone before and he has not a verified payment method but he signed up long time ago I would advice you to withdraw your proposal since it's probably a SCAM.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Shannon P Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
3 of 4

The easiest way is to see if they've had previous UpWork jobs and if so, what their rating is. I tend to avoid clients who have bad ratings (under 4 stars) or have given a large amount of bad feedback to freelancers they've used in the past (some clients are unfairly harsh and you don't want a ding on your account if you can avoid it).

I also only discuss job information with a new client through the Upwork messaging system, never phone or voice chat (unless it's a quick question). Should a client try to claim that you didn't do something or you did something wrong, you have a solid record of your previous conversations. I've had clients who didn't like the messaging system and wanted to use something else, but when I explained the situation to them (that it's to protect both of us should there be any misunderstandings) they were understanding. 

The most important thing though is to use your best judgement. If something seems too good to be true it probably is, or if a client is overly vague about the job details or information about their business you probably want to stay away. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 4

He sent you a link to fill out a form on another website? Eh, doesn't look good. Sounds like phishing.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS