cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do We Hold Clients Accountable for Their Actions Too??

Felicia W Member Since: Nov 13, 2014
1 of 12

I keep running into potential clients who say they are going to interview you, but they never do. This has happened more than once. I really don't think it's fair that we have to send replies about accepting positions within 24 hrs (if we don't then ic's get a bad reputation) when I have potential clients who don't EVER get back with you about interviews!!!

I wish ODESK could do something about this! Smiley Sad

Community Guru
Gyan D Member Since: Sep 4, 2014
2 of 12

This has happened twice or three with me so far. I've been inivited to apply to a job posting. I accept and post a reply. The client then never replies back. The client ought to have the courtesy to atleast post a short message that they have chosen someone else or the project is cancelled.

Simply put, why invite a contractor for an interview if they don't intend to, well, interview them?

Ace Contributor
Susan B Member Since: Mar 28, 2009
3 of 12

I'm a contractor on oDesk, but also occasionally hire people as well.

And, I'm embarrassed to say, I've done just what you are complaining about. I ended up getting work and getting busy and just blew it off. It happens.

If that's the worse problem you are having on oDesk, consider yourself lucky Smiley Wink

4 of 12

Unfortunately, I disagree. If Odesk is to uphold this platform in a professional manner ALL parties involved should act accordingly. In my experience,  this is why I haven't stuck it out with Odesk to apply with other employers. This is  the major reason I' ve never received a job. So yes...... this is my worst problem on Odesk.

If a brick and mortar company invites me for an interview they follow through with the interview. If not, then they usually send a letter stating the reason why.

I think it should be mandatory that if clients do not respond within 2 weeks then they should receive a negative score (just like the  ic's). This could be the reason why there are so many low quality workers on Odesk. If the clients just "blow if off" (just like you do) then you are going to get the same type of workers in return.....i'm  just saying!

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
5 of 12

I try not to let it get to me but it does bother me a bit. I'm not talking about clients responding to every application, but if the client chooses to invite a freelancer or even commences to interview them, then the client should at least let the freelancer know that the job has gone to someone else.

Saying it's the Internet or people are too busy is not much of an excuse. I've had clients where we have had a back and forth email conversation only to have them disappear. When I check, I see they hired someone else.

I don't mind that they hired someone else but they should have informed me about it.

Ace Contributor
Susan B Member Since: Mar 28, 2009
6 of 12

Ouch. I guess I just take this whole platform with a grain of salt?

I've only blown off one job as a client, but as a contractor, I've been blown off many times after being invited to interview or even once I've started to interview. For me, it's an "oh well" and I move on. I never felt like I was definitely going to be the one hired. I never blocked out time for the gig. I didn't stop applying to other jobs. I never take anything personally on oDesk.

And, I don't believe you can really compare oDesk to the brick & mortar world of full time work. Perhaps you can compare it to brick & mortar freelancing. Have you heard of pencilling in a job. Sometimes those just slip away. It's up to me to check in on the job if I have a conflict. Gigs get cancelled all the time. If it's close to the date I'm supposed to start, I might get lucky and get a cancellation fee, but sometimes I don't. Maybe because I've never had a "real" job (I've successfully freelanced for 30 years) I've had more of these types of experiences than other people here.

But, I do agree with the concept that clients should be held to the same standards as contractors - contractors get moved down the list (or something? I don't believe there is any negative score for this) if they don't respond to interview requests quickly. I'd buy the idea of doing that with clients except I can't see any valid reason to do so. I think it's a much better idea to remove that treatment from contractors instead.

As for Marcia's comment "Clients, how would you feel if you arranged an interview with a freelancer, and then they accepted an offer from a better paying client and never contacted you to tell you that they weren't interested in your job? " If they haven't accepted the contract yet, they can do anything they want.

I've been offered contracts without ever being interviewed. I've turned most of them down. It's very presumptuous of someone to do that and I haven't been interested in their jobs. Again - no contract accepted, no harm, no foul.

All in all, this just feels like a discussion about courtesy and not anything that oDesk needs to be involved in managing.

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
7 of 12

I don't think anyone is saying they get upset if they don't get the job or comparing it to a full-time job in the brick and mortar world.   I never count on a job until some money has changed hands (or the first hour has been clocked)

What I am saying is that if you are being interviewed by a client, then the client should have the courtesy to let you know that the job is no longer available.I'm not counting on the job, but I believe people should be treated with respect. One way of doing that is letting a freelancer know what is happening with the job instead of just forgetting about it.

It doesn't matter if it's a freelance position or a full-time job, if the client initiates contact, the client should let the freelancer know what's happening.

8 of 12

Susan B it has to do with everyone being accountable on Odesk. You can't have everyone do whatever they feel like and run a successful platform. If you have been working in the freelancer field with this mentality for 30 years then this explains why your reasoning doesn't make any sense. I've worked in the brick and mortar world for 20 + years and if you had this type of attitude companies would not survive. My main reason for this post is to suggest an alternative solution to the problem, not debate about common courtesy. Its to make sure Odesk holds each party responsible so we BOTH get what we are looking for here on ODesk.

And I quote you... I've been offered contracts without ever being interviewed. I've turned most of them down. It's very presumptuous of someone to do that and I haven't been interested in their jobs. Again - no contract accepted, no harm, no foul. Well of course it doesn't harm you because you are not interested in the job(s). Lets say you were interested??  How would you feel?

Just an FYI... sweetie if you don't respond within 24 hrs then you don't get many opportunities to apply for positions. In my eyes, that means you are scored on some type of  merit. If you pay attention to your emails when declining or accepting  interviews you would know this! Keep your eyes on the prize! Smiley Wink

Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
9 of 12
Clients, how would you feel if you arranged an interview with a freelancer, and then they accepted an offer from a better paying client and never contacted you to tell you that they weren't interested in your job?
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
10 of 12
To Susan, yes I agree that freelancers can do whatever they want. My point is that it is equally impolite both ways. It's not about following rules; it's about maintaining good relationships. You never know when you will come across that client or freelancer again.

Off topic, but the way this forum orders posts is even worse than on the old forum.

And off topic,
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS