cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do You Set Up Milestone Payments?

Tim L Member Since: Nov 22, 2013
1 of 8
Are milestone payments set up by the employer or the employee? Where is the place in Odesk to set them up? I've got a big job I'm trying to find writers for, but I need to structure it in pieces so that payments are issued at certain completion points. I've been researching this for a week, but haven't been able to find a way to actually set it up. Any help is most appreciated. Thanks so much!
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
2 of 8
I think you just have to come to an agreement about milestone payments with your contractor and then both parties start work. Then it's just a matter of you making a payment to your contractor whenever he or she has done the work necessary for the payment. I don't think there's an automated feature for this.
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
3 of 8
FYI, you are not an employer on oDesk, and the people writing for you are not employees. They are business owners just like you. If you were their employer, you would be guaranteeing them a minimum wage and paying for their social security. It is a very important legal distinction.
Anggi S Member Since: Jun 20, 2013
4 of 8
[quote=Marcia Malory]FYI, you are not an employer on oDesk, and the people writing for you are not employees. They are business owners just like you. If you were their employer, you would be guaranteeing them a minimum wage and paying for their social security. It is a very important legal distinction.[/quote]
Community Guru
Natasha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
5 of 8
Marcia already told him!
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
6 of 8
1. You can set up agreements with your writers and pay them as they turn them in, this will have to be done manually on your end. This has the highest degree of safety on your end. 2. You can set up weekly payments to be issued to writers automatically. oDesk will charge you that amount, on Sundays without your imput. This is ok if you are working with reliable contractors, who turn in a regular amount of work without fail. There is risk since they get paid even if they dont turn in work for that week. You may view the process and more information on how to set it up here- https://support.odesk.com/entries/23128092-What-is-a-weekly-payment- 3. You can set up an hourly contract for your writers, and agree how many articles are expected per hour worked. This payment is also automatic and charged weekly. The risk is shared between client and contractor since you can see what they are working on while they are billing you, and they also dont have to worry about not getting paid for their work since it is automatic. They will still have to send you the work of course. For this option, I suggest starting with a small amount of hours per week to build trust, hours can be increased at any time during the week, but decreases take effect only on Sundays. 4. You can also use the hourly set up for autobilling without having a person track time. You can agree upon a rate per article, and have that as their per hour rate, or even have a rate that equals 2 articles per hour, which they can bill in 30 minute increments. You can ask the contractor to enter their manual time per article turned in. This method requires trust, and should also be started with a low weekly amount of hours to limit risk. This is auto billed the same as weekly payments and regular on the time hours. I hope this answers your questions.
David L Member Since: May 27, 2014
7 of 8
Or you can go to elance where they make it easy to set up milestones with separate escrow and funding options.
Barney R Member Since: Nov 18, 2014
8 of 8
elance is running a which hunt right now, they closed my account for no reason, I even try to appeal the decision and still shut it down.... and my money wasn't guaranteed even when it was an hourly project
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS